Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Web Development: Managing Content

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2006, 10:20 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Web Development: Managing Content

There's a project that I've been 'developing' for over a year now, and I'm looking to push on to the final stages, which includes getting the web site filled with content, and ready for use.

Basically, I've had a fully coded XHTML/CSS design created, but, at present, such is only one page. I'm now wondering what would be the easiest way to implement the design into a manageable system, whereby if I need to update one element of the design, I don't have to do so to all pages.

I've worked with SSI previously, but I'd be interested to hear what else is available, or what you can suggest.
Old 03 April 2006, 10:43 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Depends on where you are getting the information from, and how it is displayed. One option might be to use a template engine, (jsp, asp, velocity etc), and get it to pull the information from a database or other data source (you could even include blocks of static text from text files stored on the server).

If you do this, then seeing as every page uses the same template, then you only need to make changes in one place for it to affect them all...
Old 03 April 2006, 10:50 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Er, not quite fully, theres a big chunk of flash in the middle, has it been written to get that content from *somewhere*?

SSI (Server side includes) is something I would use if there were no database behind the scenes.
As you are going to be using asp/php or similar then I wouldnt bother with SSI (just my personal preference not based on hard facts)

Not quite sure how far down the line you are with this, to be honest it doesn't look like you are that far, to do the design and CSS for that page is step 1. You have to design your DB, step2 - write the code to get stuff out of the DB, step 3 then write the code to get the stuff into the DB.
Technically you could run with out step 3 if you are happy using a DB tool like phpmyadmin for php/mysql..... You want to implement step 3 pretty quickly though....
Old 03 April 2006, 11:09 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Depends on where you are getting the information from, and how it is displayed. One option might be to use a template engine, (jsp, asp, velocity etc), and get it to pull the information from a database or other data source (you could even include blocks of static text from text files stored on the server).

If you do this, then seeing as every page uses the same template, then you only need to make changes in one place for it to affect them all...
Thanks for your input, Iain. I'm going to take a look at ASP, as there's a friend of mine who uses such for updating his web site.

Originally Posted by RichB
Er, not quite fully, theres a big chunk of flash in the middle, has it been written to get that content from *somewhere*?

SSI (Server side includes) is something I would use if there were no database behind the scenes.
As you are going to be using asp/php or similar then I wouldnt bother with SSI (just my personal preference not based on hard facts)

Not quite sure how far down the line you are with this, to be honest it doesn't look like you are that far, to do the design and CSS for that page is step 1. You have to design your DB, step2 - write the code to get stuff out of the DB, step 3 then write the code to get the stuff into the DB.
Technically you could run with out step 3 if you are happy using a DB tool like phpmyadmin for php/mysql..... You want to implement step 3 pretty quickly though....
I don't expect the flash to stay, Rich. It's something I put there as a placeholder, many moons ago.

I'll probably keep SSI in the back of my mind, if I encounter several problems with the database coding.

You're right, as so far in where I am with the coding side of things. I'll use the next couple of days looking into ASP, and see where that gets me. Obviously, I'm new to such, so I'll probably end up going around in circles, but it's a challenge.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 03 April 2006, 11:16 AM
terence
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB

Agreed

Also depends how nifty you are with Flash and which version your running - if your wanting to pull the content thru and present it via Flash

IIRC the newer Flash versions have good database connectivity and utilisation features

but... theres also XML, as you'll be aware its become really popular with Flash, if your content is to be structured you could centre it around XML - though this really depends on the nature of the data (content) your requiring and the diversity of it i guess

just a few thoughts
Old 03 April 2006, 01:07 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

what about a content management system? search for mambo, very good, open source and lots of add-ons for it as well.
Old 03 April 2006, 01:37 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

The problem I think you will come up against here is that (no offence intended) you have had somone else do a design and CSS in a certain way, I think unless you are fairly experienced you may find it a struggle to bolt in an off the shelf CMS system around your design.

You may find it easier to take something like Mambo and change it so it looks similar colour wise to your design but unless you write the code yourself I think it's going to be a bit of a battle.
I'd certainly be interested to hear what route you take.

Good luck.