Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

networking xp pro and xp home

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2006, 08:09 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default networking xp pro and xp home

I have a laptop running xp pro and a desktop running xp home, both access the internet via a wireless conection to a wireless modem/router.
I have set up a network and put both computers on the same workgroup.
However I cannot access files on the other computer. I can see the machines in the workgroup on both computers however if i try to access them I get the following message
\\comp _name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found

This is probably something really siple but I can find aything to allow me to do it.
Old 26 March 2006, 09:19 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
I have a laptop running xp pro and a desktop running xp home, both access the internet via a wireless conection to a wireless modem/router.
I have set up a network and put both computers on the same workgroup.
However I cannot access files on the other computer. I can see the machines in the workgroup on both computers however if i try to access them I get the following message
\\comp _name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found

This is probably something really siple but I can find aything to allow me to do it.
Have you activated the network file/print sharing option on the PC you want to connection to ?

Also you have configured the MS Firewall to connect on both PCs ?
Old 26 March 2006, 10:34 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Have you activated the network file/print sharing option on the PC you want to connection to ?

Also you have configured the MS Firewall to connect on both PCs ?
yes sharing has been activated on both computers and the ms firewall is switched off. I have a firewall on my router and I also run zonealarm as well. Have got the router set up so that computers on the same lan group can contact each other, and have also tried it without the router firewall as well!!
Old 26 March 2006, 10:42 AM
sparkplug
Scooby Regular

Have you got any other security ie Norton or mcafee
Old 26 March 2006, 10:47 AM
sparkplug
Scooby Regular

router firewall should only block attacks form your broadband connection not local network ip addreses
Old 26 March 2006, 10:52 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

just checked, on the laptop i cannot see the desktop machine, but on the desktop i can see the laptop, thought I could see both from both but I cant. I have tried doing different configs on the network setup, creating a disk and replicating the setup on the other machine and rebooting etc, but no different, can see both on 1 machine but only 1 on the other
Old 26 March 2006, 12:05 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Yes router firewall is fine but have you allowed pc in zone alarm trusted access, are you running zoone alarm on both PC's. For elimination turn off zone alarm for now (should be protected from router firewall externally),
Old 26 March 2006, 12:30 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

sorted it, just added the ip address to the trusted zones in zonealarm. Never noticed that feature before!
Doh, easy really!!
Cheers for your responses guys