Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dim laptop screen

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 11:24 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dim laptop screen

Dear all,
My screen started to flicker in brightness, and now its just dim. Everything is displayed correctly, any ideas how to fix it if at all.

By the way, its an Acer laptop which is about three years old (max). I have tried the brightness keys but they only make it darker
Old 24 March 2006, 11:40 AM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Dear all,
My screen started to flicker in brightness, and now its just dim. Everything is displayed correctly, any ideas how to fix it if at all.

By the way, its an Acer laptop which is about three years old (max). I have tried the brightness keys but they only make it darker
Sounds to me as though the backlight has failed, I replace a couple of these each month on average.
3 years is a fairly good life for one actually, our business laptops last anything from 2 years upwards.
You may be able to purchase a new backlight on the Internet, and they're not the most difficult of things to fit, just a case of having the nerve to take the machine and screen apart.
Alternatively, there are companies who will replace the light for you, but you should expect a bill of about £250 +

If you only use the machine at home then you could always hook up an external monitor and forget about using the screen.

HTH
Old 25 March 2006, 10:22 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I will have a look at some highstreet stores to see if they offer a repair service.

Kam