Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mobile Access to 2003 Server?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2006, 09:08 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Access to 2003 Server?

Does anyone use a mobile device such as a Windows SmartPhone (I'm using a Orange SPV) to access/sync to their exchange server?

I am trying to set this up at work so I can access my e-mails from a phone/pda etc but the ****** wont connect using the "Outlook Mobile Access".

I can connect to the server using my phone if I web browse to the server IP and use "Remote Web Workplace" but I belive if I use OMA it formats it better for use on a mobile phone etc and I think I am correct in saying that it will then sync my e-mails between the server and my mobile???

Are there any experts out there that can help?

Thanks
Old 22 March 2006, 10:20 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Ooh a "black art service"

Never got it to work myself but I know there are a couple of things you need to set server-side such as enabling the OMA service in Exchange 2003.

Good luck, this is one I'll follow as I want to try this on my test box when I get it running.
Old 23 March 2006, 01:18 AM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Just got this working today, exchange 2003 using wireless pda's on our network, had to create a new exchange virtual directory on the server amongst other things, fairly simple when you know how, just have a google on "exchange activesync"

Avi :d
Old 23 March 2006, 11:17 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Just done this for one of my clients. Got some help from here

HTH

Mark
Old 23 March 2006, 11:56 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Hmmm well I got a little further today...... It seems to be a problem with the security certificate which the server has produced.

I have been reading a few articles on the net, one of which was the one you mentioned Mark. I have SSL enabled on the phone and server but when I try and sync I receive an error message which displayed an "internet_*" message.

Again I searched on good old Google regarding the specific error number it came up with (can’t remember the exact Internet_ number) and it basically meant that the server name in the security certificate was different to the server name I had on my phone.

Now I have to put in the public IP of my server as the server name on my phone because it's just a test server so doesn't have a proper internet domain name so this is the only way it will know where it’s connecting to.

Now im guessing that the server details in the certificate has the actual server name i.e. testserver.local in the certificate not the public IP. I tried to create a new certificate which would allow me to put whatever server name I liked in, so I made it match my phone connection details i.e the public IP, but I then had to register it with a CA (Certificate Authority) now does anyone have a clue how I do this??

I also found out that I had to copy the security certificate from the server to my mobile but then my mobile said I didn't have permission to install it!!! Thought what the ****?? I eventually found a reg editor for my phone and the relevant instructions on what reg entries needed changing, once I had done this I could then install the certificate on my mobile but this was the certificate containing the wrong server details!

So does anyone on here have a clue what im talking about because I'm probably talking a load of bollocks how do I register this new certificate with a CA?? Can I edit the old one in anyway??

Thanks

Ooh and I have all the services running for exchange etc and the users have OMA enabled within their user settings just seems to be a problem with this certificate

Last edited by stiscooby; 23 March 2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 23 March 2006, 11:59 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I gave up trying to set this up a while back