Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Network Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2006, 09:22 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wireless Network Problems

Had this happen a few times now, and can't quite work out how to fix it first time.

When I've done a XP install on a new machine and do the automatic update of SP2, immediately after rebooting the machine doesn't connect to the wireless network and won't release an IP address. I've tried most things to fix it, and eventually after a load of playing around everything will work fine again.

Question is why does it do this, and how do I fix it without playing around with all the wireless settings, etc

I'm using a Netgear USB wireless adaptor and have disabled XP to manage my wireless network

Thanks in advance, Phill
Old 08 March 2006, 10:13 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

your best bet is to slipstream sp2 with xp and burn that to a disc. When you install it on a new machine dont have the usb wireless adaptor connected until the full installation is complete.
Dont know if it is the case for the usb adaptors but with the pci wireless you usually need to install the drivers first for the device otherwise it takes a lot of messing around to get connected.
Old 08 March 2006, 11:26 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

after any update id unplug stuff then plug them back in as ive had windows go funny on me like that when i used to use it
Old 08 March 2006, 06:08 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
your best bet is to slipstream sp2 with xp and burn that to a disc. When you install it on a new machine dont have the usb wireless adaptor connected until the full installation is complete.
Dont know if it is the case for the usb adaptors but with the pci wireless you usually need to install the drivers first for the device otherwise it takes a lot of messing around to get connected.
I installed the drivers for the USB device immediately after XP install had finished. Everything was working fine until SP2 was loaded from the automatic update.

When you say slipstream, do you mean put XP and SP2 onto a disk and install from there? I Didn't realise SP2 was available as a disk upgrade?

Thanks Phill
Old 08 March 2006, 06:09 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattbeef
after any update id unplug stuff then plug them back in as ive had windows go funny on me like that when i used to use it
Just tried that, didn't work.....

I wonder if installing the drivers again will fix it. This happens everytime I've done a rebuild lately and it's so ******* annoying!!!

Phill
Old 09 March 2006, 09:11 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

you can download sp2 to save on hard disk from microsoft or other places.
This link will give you a guide on doing it.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Once done, you just install the operating system with the slipstreamed disk, and when complete then install your drivers and connect your wireless gear.

I have found if you have an install of xp and then you install drivers (particulary ones for wireless devices) and then update to sp2, devices stop working (or stop communicating), your much better installing anything like that once you have got the complete operating system that you are using on, ie xp with sp2
Old 09 March 2006, 10:54 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

easy way to slipstream sp2

www.nliteos.com

Old 11 March 2006, 08:36 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
you can download sp2 to save on hard disk from microsoft or other places.
This link will give you a guide on doing it.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Once done, you just install the operating system with the slipstreamed disk, and when complete then install your drivers and connect your wireless gear.

I have found if you have an install of xp and then you install drivers (particulary ones for wireless devices) and then update to sp2, devices stop working (or stop communicating), your much better installing anything like that once you have got the complete operating system that you are using on, ie xp with sp2
So has anyone got any cunning ideas now, how to get me online with little effort?

I don't really want to re-install XP over again.....

Thanks Phill
Old 11 March 2006, 05:25 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

uninstall the hardware through control panel, and uninstall the software. Reboot machine, install software, insert device when asked to. Would imagine that will sort it for you.
Alternatively just access the router via network cable see what the ip range is and manually assign an ip address to the machine.