Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is Universa Application a virus?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2006, 09:11 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Universa Application a virus?

Help guys!

My temp folder is under attack from winxx.temp files! My ZoneAlarm AV can't take much mre!

My ZoneAlarm is having a fit every 2 minutes saying that this Universa Application is trying to gain access to local network/internet. Also found these winxx.temp (where the first x is a letter and the second x is a number and are random) files in the temp folder but they're multiplying. try to delete them but it's protected saying that another user is using the application so therefore can't be deleted, blah, blah, blah. Tried going into safe mode but still no joy.

Tried a few other AV/Malware/Trojan/worm programs to find and destroy it but with no luck.

Please Help!!!!!

Gordon Shek
Old 27 February 2006, 09:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Boot up in safe mode, turn off system restore, then run AV/Spyware software to clean things up. Once clean, reboot in safe mode again and run AV/Spyware removal software again, just to be sure. Re-enabled system restore, then boot up and see if that helps.
Old 27 February 2006, 10:10 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Boot up in safe mode, turn off system restore, then run AV/Spyware software to clean things up. Once clean, reboot in safe mode again and run AV/Spyware removal software again, just to be sure. Re-enabled system restore, then boot up and see if that helps.
Markus

I tried that mate but still not happening. AV don't seem to see it but those temp files are multiplying all the time! Some can get deleted, some can't.

Any more ideas anybody?

Cheers

Gordon Shek
Old 27 February 2006, 11:09 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Seems that it is a trojan of some sort - Win32:Trojano-3292.

Take a look at this forum post

It would seem the guy there had the same infection. The post explains the removal procedure, although it is quite involved.

Oh and the user miekiemoes on that site seems to be somewhat of an expert. If in doubt, you could ask him.

Good luck.
Old 28 February 2006, 09:14 PM
GordonShek
Scooby Regular

D16GER

Thank you very much for the link, it has helped and I managed to get rid of it after a whole day working on it!

It's amazing what spyware/malware/viruses and other nasty stuff can do and how they replicate themselves without you knowing.

Very clever guys if you ask me, I've just got to be more careful now...............

Gordon Shek
Old 28 February 2006, 09:24 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

No worries. Glad you got sorted.

For what its worth I run Norton AV & PF 2005, Spybot, Spywareblaster and I have a Linksys router with hardware firewall.

It may sound OTT, but I have yet to be infected with Spy/Malware or Virii, and the system has been up and running for almost 2 years without reformat.