Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Need help in finding an IT job - newly graduate

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2006, 09:23 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help in finding an IT job - newly graduate

Right guys, heres the problem I have. I have graduated in Comptuer Science with an industrial placement also. I graduated in 2005 and have since been looking for employment ever since.

Now the funny thing is, I have been to many career development services and they have all said that the applicatiosn im filling in are spot on as well as my CV.

There is only one niggle though. During my A-Levels I was involved in a massive car accident which resulted in me being forced to drop two A-Levels hence ending up with a B in IT. My degree was a very high 2:1 (missed a first by 2%). Now before applying to companies i contact them and ask whether they accep my mitigating circumstances to which most agree. But when i apply, they still reject me without giving me a reason.

I have spoke to various people who have said its not me, its just the industry is crap for graduates at the moment, but how true is this.

I have also been given the advice of contracting but i have no experience, how will i fit in.

Could someone please give me tips on this situation. Btw I am willing to relocate and also like to note I have applied at many companies 80% of which havent even replied back. The rest have just refused without giving feedback.
Old 26 February 2006, 10:28 PM
Pedro_79
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of companies take far too much notice of A-level results, but I guess the problem is the huge amount of 'cloned' graduate applications they get.

Have you been applying for specific positions or trying to get into graduate schemes? or both?

Also, where was your placement?
Old 26 February 2006, 10:35 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pedro_79
I think a lot of companies take far too much notice of A-level results, but I guess the problem is the huge amount of 'cloned' graduate applications they get.

Have you been applying for specific positions or trying to get into graduate schemes? or both?

Also, where was your placement?
well most of them have been graduate schemes. Some of them have been specific positions where you are asked to mention your areas of development and i like to emphasise Testing and Analysis.

My placement was at a City Learning Centre which involved corporate solutions early on and moved on to rigourously testing a a multi tasking system

Also would like to add, that when i applied to Capgemini, I was refused according to my Alevels even though they had agreed to bypass my ALevel grades according to my Mitigating Circumstances. However they still refused me based on ALEvels even though I had offered them my medical report as evidence. Furthermore when talking to their recruitment manager, i mentioned that there are two employees i would not like to name who were accepted by Capgemini and who had applied with fake ALevels grades, and she was like "o that cant be true", so i justp ut phone down on her

Last edited by kilo_4que; 26 February 2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 26 February 2006, 10:45 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

FWIW I would suggest you do your networking and get on first name terms with the head of graduate recruitment for each company you apply for. Then you always have someone to go back to if things don't turn uot as you were expecting. Additionally, you should always get back to companies that reject you for feedback. Then you will know whether it's because of the A levels or something else. Hope this helps.
Old 26 February 2006, 11:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this:-

http://www.jobserve.com/searchresult...n&cb01=1&cid=0

You want to look at some of the job sites like these:-

www.totaljobs.co.uk
www.jobserve.co.uk
www.jobsin.co.uk
www.topjobs.co.uk
www.jobsearch.co.uk

Hopefully you will find some jobs off there that are for graduates

Tony
Old 26 February 2006, 11:54 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Hi swtmerce, I have got back to them and they always say we are not in a position to give you feedback at this stage in the application process or they just point towards my A-Levels which i think is rather harsh since it wasnt in my powers to avoid the unfortunate circumstances surrounding my A-Levels and have offered to provide evidence of it. Its even more harsh that there are people applying with fake a level grades and are getting to interview stages yet people like myself who are applying genuinely get the boot straight away.

Hi Tony, thanks for them sites matey, I have registered with some of them and like you have pointed out, they are not the most "Graduate Friendly" sites lol
Old 27 February 2006, 11:52 AM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

You are quite right in that the outlook for grads ain't looking as good as it once was. You have IT experience but is that what you are aiming for professionally..?

What I mean is that have you tried applying to non-IT type organisations? After all, everybody has some form of IT..? Perhaps, Engineering, pharmaceutical etc.

Also have you tried recruitment fairs? I got my job through a manchester uni one a few years back.

I have an IT based degree but generally applied for a the more generic business positions. Still, the IT always finds its way back to you eventually - you can at least count on that

Have you thought about the aerospace and defence industry? Lots of IT related positions, PM me if you need any contact details.
Old 27 February 2006, 12:01 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kuro
You are quite right in that the outlook for grads ain't looking as good as it once was. You have IT experience but is that what you are aiming for professionally..?

What I mean is that have you tried applying to non-IT type organisations? After all, everybody has some form of IT..? Perhaps, Engineering, pharmaceutical etc.

Also have you tried recruitment fairs? I got my job through a manchester uni one a few years back.

I have an IT based degree but generally applied for a the more generic business positions. Still, the IT always finds its way back to you eventually - you can at least count on that

Have you thought about the aerospace and defence industry? Lots of IT related positions, PM me if you need any contact details.
Hi Kuro, thanks for your reply matey.

As a matter of fact I have applied at non IT companies. I have applied to the likes of Procter and Gamble, Astrazenica, British Aerospace etc etc

My ambition was to work for british aerospace from start however they refused me and were extremely reluctant to give me a reason for rejection
Old 27 February 2006, 02:45 PM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kilo_4que
Hi Kuro, thanks for your reply matey.

As a matter of fact I have applied at non IT companies. I have applied to the likes of Procter and Gamble, Astrazenica, British Aerospace etc etc

My ambition was to work for british aerospace from start however they refused me and were extremely reluctant to give me a reason for rejection

It can be difficult to get in through the graduate scheme, and with this type of industry, the company can pick and choose as it were. (often not the best result by far IMO) Have you thought of going through the non graduate route, technical for example?

Was it central recruitment that you spoke to in Farnborough?

You should be able to count on good feedback, sorry if that wasn't the case. I wouldn't be too disappointed, it's swings and roundabouts at the moment, as people are laid off one month, and brought back in the next. I was part of a grad recruitment team a while back so I can appreciate how freaky it all seems...
Old 27 February 2006, 03:22 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kuro
It can be difficult to get in through the graduate scheme, and with this type of industry, the company can pick and choose as it were. (often not the best result by far IMO) Have you thought of going through the non graduate route, technical for example?

Was it central recruitment that you spoke to in Farnborough?

You should be able to count on good feedback, sorry if that wasn't the case. I wouldn't be too disappointed, it's swings and roundabouts at the moment, as people are laid off one month, and brought back in the next. I was part of a grad recruitment team a while back so I can appreciate how freaky it all seems...
I dont think it was Farnborough, I applied to the Air Systems graduate scheme. Was looking so forward to it and thought i had a good chance since one requirement was something on the lines of "having knowledge in military aviation would be of great advantage" which i had. Sadly it didnt work out for me.

I am thinking about applying to non graduate jobs but the problem there is, they expect the applicant to be fluent in their requirements which i doubt i would be. The reason i want to apply via graduate schemes is to gain some technical experience and be given sufficient training.

Btw did you work for British Aerospace?

cheers
Old 27 February 2006, 03:50 PM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

I applied to the Air Systems graduate scheme
Ah, that'll be why then...

Air Systems, whilst being one of the larger Business Units, are one of the most turbulent. Last time I did a fair/campaign it was all fractured according to site, for example we covered Naval, e.g Barrow and sexy nuclear Subs.

It would be good if you could PM you exact method of application, as there's more than one way to skin a cat. (double and factor by infinity at BAE Systems!!)

There are hundreds of business units across the UK and the globe, so there's a few opportunities in there.

Btw did you work for British Aerospace?
And still do, based in Samlesbury and Warton, Lancs.
Old 27 February 2006, 09:35 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The market is good at the moment in IT.

having just left my new job, Ive registered with a few agencies and getting plenty of calls

I suggest you apply to accenture as they have lots of jobs in IT and a graduate scheme.. (most in the NHS iirc, not my cup of tea though)

David
Old 27 February 2006, 10:25 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis

having just left my new job, Ive registered with a few agencies and getting plenty of calls

I suggest you apply to accenture as they have lots of jobs in IT and a graduate scheme.. (most in the NHS iirc, not my cup of tea though)

David
Hi David, I dont think thats the case for graduates. Its decent for experienced people in the industry but although most companies are offering graduate schemes i dont udnerstand how many people are refused on the spot.

Since i did a sandwich course i.e. including a placement I have basically spent my last two academic years with two lots of students. Now amongst students from my original year that i knew not one has a proper IT related job and within the year i graduated only one person has an IT related job.

You mention Accenture, but its funny that cos Accenture rejected me under 20 mins of me sending my application and post the message that they have thuroughly considered my app lol.

I dont know, sometimes i feel like just becoming a Taxi Driver or soemthing lol
Old 28 February 2006, 11:36 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

contracting might be an option purely because there is less commitment on the prospective employer, you would really need to focus on your experience rather than your qualifications, IT has always been good for me because with no degree and lots of experience its worked to my benefit but if you can land a 3/6 months contract you will really start to get the experience you need and once you start getting good rates I dont think you will want to perm anyway Try and decide what area of IT you want to work in and keep your skillset narrow but focused and keep trying! It can be hard going but just remember its nothing personal and its a just a numbers game, you have to keep on applying. Just go to jobserve.com every day, apply for anything you think you have a remote chance of doing until you find work!

Good Luck

Gary
Old 28 February 2006, 12:07 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
contracting might be an option purely because there is less commitment on the prospective employer, you would really need to focus on your experience rather than your qualifications, IT has always been good for me because with no degree and lots of experience its worked to my benefit but if you can land a 3/6 months contract you will really start to get the experience you need and once you start getting good rates I dont think you will want to perm anyway Try and decide what area of IT you want to work in and keep your skillset narrow but focused and keep trying! It can be hard going but just remember its nothing personal and its a just a numbers game, you have to keep on applying. Just go to jobserve.com every day, apply for anything you think you have a remote chance of doing until you find work!

Good Luck

Gary
O most definately Gary, that is my future aim which is to go into contracting. The pay is generally very very good but the problem for me is that I dont think a company would take on an employee on a temp contract who has only his academic achievements to show unless im wrong of course
Old 28 February 2006, 12:24 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

kilo,
Yes although you maybe able to go on trial period of a couple of days or a week, in the past I have actually put my c**k on the block and said I would do a week and if it didnt work out then there would be no charge if you feel confident in your ability to do the work. Or how about being pro-active and writing letters to medium sized businesses in your area offering your services, you never know!
Gary
Old 28 February 2006, 12:28 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

kilo,
Yes although you maybe able to go on trial period of a couple of days or a week, in the past I have actually put my c**k on the block and said I would do a week and if it didnt work out then there would be no charge if you feel confident in your ability to do the work. Or how about being pro-active and writing letters to medium sized businesses in your area offering your services, you never know!
Gary
Aah yeah Gary, I gather the difference here is that im talking as a student with not much real technical experience. Just what you learn from the books whereas yourself, you have the technical knowhow and confidence is with you.

I need to get some experience before taking that approach as so far I could say i know jack in terms of what I need to know for industry.
Old 28 March 2006, 06:16 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 28 March 2006, 06:46 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

I spent two years applying for graduate schemes and blue chip companies after coming out of University. Personally I would say it was a complete waste of time.

The suggestion of giving your services for a week is definitely a good one. The other thing is to go to jobsere etc and actually phone the agencies when you see a good job. Don't just email your CV like everyone else.

It show motivation and drive. Agencies love it and it keeps there costs down. They like proactive people so make yourself one of them.

The other thing is to see if you can get a low paid placement for 4 weeks to 8 weeks. Ask you friends and see fi there folks can help you.

It is all about thinking outside the box.

Personally I paid for a three month networking course and they got me on the ladder. If you do decide to go down this route then plan your training comapny very carefully.

Anyway, hope it helps and don't give up faith!
Old 28 March 2006, 07:48 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

try this link, had a quick look for ya! http://www.jobserve.com/searchresult...=1&ps=20&cid=0
I was looking at graduate/junior jobs they must be out there, are you willing to relocate or at least work away during the week? That will help your cause, dont give up!
Old 28 March 2006, 09:38 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

try this link, had a quick look for ya! http://www.jobserve.com/searchresult...=1&ps=20&cid=0
I was looking at graduate/junior jobs they must be out there, are you willing to relocate or at least work away during the week? That will help your cause, dont give up!
First of all, Homer that has been excellent advise. One thing i must admit to is the fact that I have done exactly what you have advised not to do. I have sent CV's to agencies but have never really phoned them myself.

Gary, yes I am willing to relocate. I would prefer commuting however, but if it means relocating to get a year of quality work under my belt then I would.
Old 28 March 2006, 10:19 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

I am a not a graduate but know the situation you face.

In my early thirties I decided to take the MCSE exams after a friend advised me that the indusrty was crying out for MSCE's.

Passed my 6 exams, and then relaised I wanted to be a software developer.
tokk another MCP, this time in Visual Basic.
Passed.

Now get a job.

Perhaps I was rather forunate but I this is how i acquired the job that I still do now (6 1/2 years later ).

I went to the local library, got information about every IT company within 30 miles and sent off my cv.

Most did not reply, but my current employer did, and a quick interview and the rest is history.

Might not help, but wish you luck mate. Once you get started, with a degree, you will never look back.

Old 28 March 2006, 10:28 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip929
I am a not a graduate but know the situation you face.

In my early thirties I decided to take the MCSE exams after a friend advised me that the indusrty was crying out for MSCE's.

Passed my 6 exams, and then relaised I wanted to be a software developer.
tokk another MCP, this time in Visual Basic.
Passed.

Now get a job.

Perhaps I was rather forunate but I this is how i acquired the job that I still do now (6 1/2 years later ).

I went to the local library, got information about every IT company within 30 miles and sent off my cv.

Most did not reply, but my current employer did, and a quick interview and the rest is history.

Might not help, but wish you luck mate. Once you get started, with a degree, you will never look back.

I hope it is that easy but then again ive wasted 3 years in doing a degree and an additional year on an industrial placement which to be honest other than the little testing I did was pointless.

Should have become a car bodywork specialist or something
Old 28 March 2006, 10:50 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

I hope it is that easy but then again ive wasted 3 years in doing a degree and an additional year on an industrial placement which to be honest other than the little testing I did was pointless.

Should have become a car bodywork specialist or something
Don't become disheartened.
Know it's not easy, been there myself. I think i was just rather fortunate that my employer was at that time seeking someone with the skills/qulaifications that I had acquired.

Although I now have 6 + years experience, ther are loads of jobs that i cannot appy for. Because you must have degree status.

You, fortunately in the future will not have that problem. I potentially will.

Good luck, and keep your head up. It WIILL happen.
Old 28 March 2006, 11:05 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis

David
Yes come to Accenture, we can talk Subaru's
Old 28 March 2006, 11:09 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

T5OLF I thought you was asking me that until i seen Daves post quoted lol. Its funny how Accenture replied to me within 20 minutes of sending my application saying I had been unsuccessful and a friend who achieved a 2:2 in the same degree was invited to an interview but of course messed up in it. Im very good in interviews but only if someone gives me the opportunity.
Old 28 March 2006, 11:12 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

YHPM T5OLF