Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Multiple Domain Hosting

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2006, 06:39 PM
Paul .G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Domain Hosting

I am looking to set up a number of simple sites and have seen various people offering multiple hosting deals, is there any thing to watch out for different from a normal single domain hosting package?
Any recomendations suggestion?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 21 February 2006, 07:04 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

I run a SEO and web marketing company so have a similar need to you. I recently had to look around for a new host for my 60+ or so clients sites after my UK service provider became unusable. After literally months of investigation I settled on Hostgator.com in the states using their reseller package. I now have about 5 times the space and bandwidth for about 1/7th the UK cost so am a very happy bunny

Their support is 'ok' as well but all in all a damn good deal.

Russ
Old 21 February 2006, 08:11 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Heard there were problems with search engines such as Google not listing UK (.co.uk) sites which weren't actually hosted in the UK? Is that true ?
Old 22 February 2006, 10:25 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

You could look at someone like 123reg and get your own server and have total control/responsiblity.

I have one and it has been 100% reliable. Cost is about £50 a month plus VAT but it depends what software you want on it...

For finding a host you could have a trawl through either http://www.findwebhosts.com or http://www.webhostdir.com
Netpivotal crop up alot, not used them though.

Rich

Last edited by RichB; 22 February 2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 22 February 2006, 10:43 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freelance Badger
Heard there were problems with search engines such as Google not listing UK (.co.uk) sites which weren't actually hosted in the UK? Is that true ?
Not exactly. Google use a geo identifier so if you have a non .uk domain hosted in an offshore location then in theory they may not list you on the UK listings BUT if you have a .uk domain it will be listed if you do have UK content, irrespective of where you host and assuming you have used ethical techniques.

That said, if you use a shared virtual server and the host hasn't set the server up in a way Google likes or if another user on that server has caused havoc with Google in the past then this *could* lead to problems. Google are pretty good though with identifying these issues - the only problem I commonly see is when they incorrectly use an IP address to push local content and the IP address doesn't actually reflect where the user is (i.e. I live in Spain and use a Belgian satellite for Broadband so get everything in Flemish!)

In terms of the original hosting issue, I forgot to say that I also use UkReg to register my .uk domains and I then point them to my named server at Hostgator - works a treat so far. Very good service from these guys at UKReg as well....

R
Old 22 February 2006, 12:44 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Mmm - interesting. Was thinking of looking at hosting my sites in the USA when my currant deal comes up for renewal as they seem a LOT cheaper. But then tech support phone calls to the USA might balance that out against free ones in the uk!
Old 22 February 2006, 05:15 PM
Paul .G
Scooby Regular

Excellet,
Cost will be a decider for me as my sites will not be comercial,
But thanks for all the info will check these out.

Paul