Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC build for Linux... any gotchas?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2006, 09:03 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PC build for Linux... any gotchas?

I want to build a PC for home use for Redhat ES v4 - as I have a licenced copy now (free ).

Now, I know hardware support has got better, but I don't want to buy an off the shelf Dell or HP etc.. was looking using a Shuttle + AMD 3700/X2 3800 (or 939 opty?) + Nvidia 6200 for a basic build (want to use Gnome) - I might be blind, but I can't find a list of certified components on the Redhat site?

Any suggestions on what I should use or consider? Thanks
Old 14 February 2006, 06:03 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrEvil
I want to build a PC for home use for Redhat ES v4 - as I have a licenced copy now (free ).

Now, I know hardware support has got better, but I don't want to buy an off the shelf Dell or HP etc.. was looking using a Shuttle + AMD 3700/X2 3800 (or 939 opty?) + Nvidia 6200 for a basic build (want to use Gnome) - I might be blind, but I can't find a list of certified components on the Redhat site?

Any suggestions on what I should use or consider? Thanks
You mean this page on the red hat site.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/

Old 14 February 2006, 07:56 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Top man - thanks - the alledged Xpert I've been talking to was thrown when I mentioned dual core....

Now looking at a cube chassis + micro atx asus board (with built in Nvidia GPU) and AMD64
Old 14 February 2006, 08:48 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Top man - thanks - the alledged Xpert I've been talking to was thrown when I mentioned dual core....

Now looking at a cube chassis + micro atx asus board (with built in Nvidia GPU) and AMD64
You can't go wrong with the Shuttle XPC. I currently have 2 of them. One an AMD and the other an INTEL. The only issue you may come across is that the parts are non standard. I.e the PSU for example.
Old 14 February 2006, 09:35 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jpor
You can't go wrong with the Shuttle XPC. I currently have 2 of them. One an AMD and the other an INTEL. The only issue you may come across is that the parts are non standard. I.e the PSU for example.
Thanks for the info jpor - the reason for looking at ASUS micro ATX is they normally provide linux drivers, but I'm going to take my time on this one - needs to be done right thanks again.
Old 15 February 2006, 09:07 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

PS. jpor - which Linux are you running out of interest?
Old 15 February 2006, 05:58 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

PS. jpor - which Linux are you running out of interest?
Not running any at the MO. Except for AIX 5.3 (IBM UNIX) on a recently bought second hand IBM RS/6000 44P Model 170. (Currently work as an AIX Sys Admin).

When I was running LINUX, then It was either Red Hat 8/9 and SuSe version 6 (A few years back).

Found Red Hat had a nice set-up interface and support.
Old 15 February 2006, 06:49 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

On another note: If you are looking for another type of UNIX package then I was recommended to look at openSOLARIS. It's SUNs SOLARIS but in a free openware version. Can be downloaded from here:

www.opensolaris.org

It runs on a standard PC and supported by SUN. PLus you get to use SUNs new volume manager.
Old 16 February 2006, 09:09 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jpor
On another note: If you are looking for another type of UNIX package then I was recommended to look at openSOLARIS. It's SUNs SOLARIS but in a free openware version. Can be downloaded from here:

www.opensolaris.org

It runs on a standard PC and supported by SUN. PLus you get to use SUNs new volume manager.
Yeah thought about OpenSolaris or getting the full blown Solaris10 x86.

I've not spent a lot of time on Linux, as I've never really got on with it (or liked it) before now. So thought I'd give it some attention - especially as I'm soon to complete my RHCE.

Prefer Solaris / AIX as operating systems - btw I'm a Solaris / AIX consultant/senior admin
Old 16 February 2006, 07:29 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Yeah thought about OpenSolaris or getting the full blown Solaris10 x86.

I've not spent a lot of time on Linux, as I've never really got on with it (or liked it) before now. So thought I'd give it some attention - especially as I'm soon to complete my RHCE.

Prefer Solaris / AIX as operating systems - btw I'm a Solaris / AIX consultant/senior admin
Ah! good to see someone else had sense and took the UNIX route, rather than the microsoft one.