Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop H/D problems

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2006, 07:23 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop H/D problems

I've just had my 3rd hd failure on a laptop, what could be causing it?

I used to use the first laptop for everything, 2d dwgs and 3d rendering, web browsing, databases, engine mapping etc. etc. but after the first failure I scaled the usage down (mapping apps and MS office only) but the replacement hd failed again after about 6 months use.

I've since been using a Vaio laptop for mapping purposes only yet last night this one's hd failed leaving me in a bit of a position. I was using a hex editor when the hd started to get very noisy and showed no signs of recovery, I pulled the plug and on reboot all I got was a flashing cursor, on removal of the hd I got a 'no operating system found' error. I've just got a new hd but am fed up with this happening far too regular, anyone have any ideas??
Old 13 February 2006, 06:14 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo
I've just had my 3rd hd failure on a laptop, what could be causing it?

I used to use the first laptop for everything, 2d dwgs and 3d rendering, web browsing, databases, engine mapping etc. etc. but after the first failure I scaled the usage down (mapping apps and MS office only) but the replacement hd failed again after about 6 months use.

I've since been using a Vaio laptop for mapping purposes only yet last night this one's hd failed leaving me in a bit of a position. I was using a hex editor when the hd started to get very noisy and showed no signs of recovery, I pulled the plug and on reboot all I got was a flashing cursor, on removal of the hd I got a 'no operating system found' error. I've just got a new hd but am fed up with this happening far too regular, anyone have any ideas??
Are you using the laptop in a well ventilated area? What you have to realise is that these HDD's have moving parts inside which cause a lot of heat.
Can you not leave the HDD access panel off to help with the heat dispersion?
Old 13 February 2006, 08:18 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Lol, snap done the same with 3 laptop hd's. The suspension on my car is just not compatible with hard disks...

I use a cd now, boot from that into an XP PE environment and save data to a usb stick or a compact flash card in the pc slot using a converter. Much neater than a usb stick protruding from the laptop.

Fyi, started with Bart's PE then modified to suit.

Compact flash does not boot if inserted in a pc slot. But I have tried compact flash card with the os on, but you have to use a cf to 2.5" ide converter and replace the hd with it. No moving parts This works, still messing with this really...

This usually happens in-car. Never had a normal laptop hd go yet that isn't used in the car.

Be gentle

HTH
H