Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HDD problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2006, 10:57 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HDD problems?

My old PC which is now used by my stepson has developed a strange problem. He has been complaining of it freezing recently and then we found a knackered cable on the mouse. Plugged in another mouse and he said it was OK. Now it boots up to the point of wallpaper on screen and nothing else, no icons, no systray etc.

I thought I'd found a loose cable going to one of the HDD's cos it wouldn't detect it when first switched on. Now it boots OK until it loads wallpaper. It does self tests usually on boot up of the HDD and passes those. Any ideas?

Andy.
Old 12 February 2006, 12:22 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
My old PC which is now used by my stepson has developed a strange problem. He has been complaining of it freezing recently and then we found a knackered cable on the mouse. Plugged in another mouse and he said it was OK. Now it boots up to the point of wallpaper on screen and nothing else, no icons, no systray etc.

I thought I'd found a loose cable going to one of the HDD's cos it wouldn't detect it when first switched on. Now it boots OK until it loads wallpaper. It does self tests usually on boot up of the HDD and passes those. Any ideas?

Andy.
Can you start up in 'Safe Mode' ? To get into safe mode you need to press 'F8' before windows starts up.

Once there, try running a 'chkdsk'.
Old 12 February 2006, 10:55 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

HDD's seem OK. I can access them and run progs if I use new task option from within task manager. I ran Western Digital HDD tests on both drives and they passed. Just can't understand why I get wallpaper only loading and no icons, systray etc on screen.
Old 13 February 2006, 12:29 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

I think it sounds like a virus.Can't remember the name of it but we had a couple of machines at work that were infected with the virus a few weeks back in work and those PC's had the same symptoms as yours.It's a new ish virus so have you got upto date AV software installed? ie running the latest definition files?
I'll have a look when I'm back in the office on Monday if nobody has posted before then....

Good luck
Old 13 February 2006, 11:23 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

It should be up to date with antivirus. It's not my main PC but it is setup to download latest definitions everyday. My stepson did say he had a popup box come up saying lsass.exe but when I did a search it said this was OK although something else I read said a virus. He uses it mostly on chatrooms so I guess it could easily be a virus. It has AVG on it which looks like I'll be changing to something better once I can hopefully get it sorted out.

Thanks,

Andy.
Old 13 February 2006, 06:11 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
It should be up to date with antivirus. It's not my main PC but it is setup to download latest definitions everyday. My stepson did say he had a popup box come up saying lsass.exe but when I did a search it said this was OK although something else I read said a virus. He uses it mostly on chatrooms so I guess it could easily be a virus. It has AVG on it which looks like I'll be changing to something better once I can hopefully get it sorted out.

Thanks,

Andy.
Have you tried running Anti-Spyware software? Could be spyware that is slowing the PC down to a halt. Can recommend MS Anti-Spy and Spybot.