Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition problems

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2006, 11:24 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows XP Pro x64 Edition problems

Is anyone out there using it?

I've just bought a copy (first time for everything ) and have realised that there is loads of stuff out there that is not compatible with it.
I have found other copies of anti-virus and a firewall that is compatible, my latest realisation is that I can no longer create pdf's using Acrobat 5. Does anyone have a patch for the distiller drivers to work, or will I need to invest in a newer version?
Pull down menus (the ones with the arrows next to the field boxes) work erratically on autoroute and ultra-edit, you cannot spell check in outlook express (which I knew about before buying it TBH) plus a number of other 'glitches' which are a bit annoying.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just bought the 32-bit version!

Sorry if this subject has been covered before, it's a lot more difficult to find stuff now that the search facility has been removed!
Old 10 February 2006, 11:28 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Join planetamd first, then you can download any patches and drivers needed. I have got a reasoble spec pc and all the 64 bit drivers are working superbly.

Even things like expertool for overclocking the SLi cards is updated for 64 bit now.
Old 11 February 2006, 12:13 AM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I have just registered with www.planetamd64.com. Interestingly on there they list some apps compatibility and it says that even Acrobat 7.0 Pro is not compatible.
There is however something called `RedMon` which might do the job, though in the readme.txt file it says that configuring it is not a job for novices! I might have a look at it tomorrow when I am more awake and will have drunk less!

I downloaded all the drives for my m/b from the Asus website, which went on prety easily.

My mate's Asus K8V will be a different matter though, I put the drivers for the SATA HDD's on (F6 on start of install) then half way through x64 moaned about them not being signed, continued and then on re-boot it replaces with the MS drivers which do not work and it crashes as soon as x64 starts to load even in safe mode.
Tried to upgrade the BIOS as the first step in creating a mirror of how I want the finished HDD to look like and the update failed after erasing the BIOS so are now having to re-programme the chip! The Data I/O we had where I used to work doesn't have the right algorithms installed on it so it throws it out when doing a electronic device ID check so I have passed it on to my cousin to programme it where he works. I will find out late tomorrow if it has worked and will then have to progress...
Old 11 February 2006, 03:05 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

I did the sensible thing and dual boot between xp and xp64.

Works fine, but I haven't really tested much yet.

Half Life2 64 bit edition - cool but the fricking stuttering is back big time..
Old 11 February 2006, 08:15 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonloops
I did the sensible thing and dual boot between xp and xp64.

Works fine, but I haven't really tested much yet.

Half Life2 64 bit edition - cool but the fricking stuttering is back big time..
Yep I was thinking that yesterday, but that would mean buying XP as well!
Done a dual boot 98SE/XP system for someone before as they had a dongle to work with this software that didn't support XP.