Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Aaargh! Taxonomy of IpaQs?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2006, 02:09 PM
mark1234
Scooby Regular

Location: Where women glow and men plunder, Xbox Gamertag Upsidedownmark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aaargh! Taxonomy of IpaQs?

Ok, I want a PDA. Specifically an IpaQ (I'm reasonably sure). Want to run it with TomTom, and with winpilot (air navigation). Because of the air nav requirements, it needs to have a serial interface so it can be plugged into a proper GPS and a logger. Bluetooth does not cut the mustard (not FAI approved).

So, what are my options? Far as I can tell, the 22xx, 38xx, 39xx, 41xx, 43xx 54xx, and 55xx plus maybe the 31xx 36xx 37xx (all compaq), and 47xx (HP) may also be suitable.

What I don't have the faintest idea is what any of the numbers refer to, how powerful various models are, and how well the screens work in sunlight (have heard some of the older ones are better than the newer, and the 47xx might be useless even with backlight?

Other than nav, it's going to be used for light organisational duties, to-do's, contacts etc, and probably portable email / net access.

Lastly, what might I look at paying?

Cheers!
Old 06 February 2006, 03:07 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Have they improved the build quality of iPaqs?

I have a (now non-working) 3950, and was very unimpressed with it. Was always having trouble with it, battery life was naff, the accessories were poorly built and expensive, and the support from hp / compaq was laughable.

I'm thinking of getting a new one as well (seeing as the ipaq has completely died now), and was seriously considering one of the Dell Axim models instead as they seem to be getting pretty good reviews everywhere I've seen.

My experience with ipaq and hp was enough to put me off them for life...
Old 06 February 2006, 03:26 PM
mark1234
Scooby Regular

Location: Where women glow and men plunder, Xbox Gamertag Upsidedownmark

That I don't know. Only reason to stick to an ipaq is everyone I know runs winpilot on that - I'm not sure / 100% confident of compatibility on other models.
Old 06 February 2006, 05:11 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

My 3660 has worked fine since I got it. Runs TomTom 3 fine (not upgraded to 5 yet) and I connect it to my Garmin Etrex Legend as the GPS receiver.

You can pick up the 36xx series quite cheap on ebay now second hand, so it'll come down to how fast you want it, battery life (my 3660 is fine in that dept.), how old you are willing to accept as these will all dictate cost.

I toyed with selling mine and upgrading to a newer one, but I don't know if I'd really use any more functionality than I already have
Old 07 February 2006, 05:16 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

My 4150 has excellent build quality - dropped it twice onto concerete, one small scuff of plastic at the top - still running 100%

Not sure what the CPU is but it easily runs TomTom, Pocket Word, Calender and even PocketUAE (Amiga Emulator).

It's the best value puchase I've ever made. had it 2 years with out problem, original battery still good.

I'd be lost without it.
Old 07 February 2006, 05:48 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Perhaps I just had a bad one then

Battery life of the internal (non-replaceable) battery is down to about 5 minutes from a full charge. Tried using external battery instead, but they are made from such cheap plastic that the connections keep breaking, (and I really don't treat these things roughly at all). Rang hp about replacing the internal battery, and decided that I might as well just buy a new machine rather than pay the inflated repair price.

As I said. Not impressed at all...
Old 07 February 2006, 07:39 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Ah, the 4150 battery is a simple job to replace - I'd hate to think that I'd be relying on the manufacturer to change one

I must say I'm surprised my battery has lasted as long as it has.

For a 2 year old product, the 4150 is an amazing pice of kit.