Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Work firewalls...

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2006, 07:13 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work firewalls...

Is there any way to get websites up on a PC at work with a firewall? Using Websense Enterprise if that helps.

Seem to recall that there are some sites that let you view sites through themselves to bypass the firewall settings. Very frustrating to get blocked everytime I try and access a "games", "frivolous"???, "web-hosted" etc.

Can't believe they expect me to use work PCs for work, for heaven's sake!

Cue predictable jokes regarding dodgy websites...
Old 01 February 2006, 07:19 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

If they're blocking on names then they may well be logging as well - you pop up on the radar you could be 'talked about in HR'!!!
Old 01 February 2006, 07:32 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Not suggesting I'm looking at something suspect are you? And the beauty is that all the PCs have generic logins so you don't even have to divulge your username.

Only way I think they could get hold of you is if they monitored you whilst on the net and caught you at it.

Besides, they'd have a hell of a time causing anything more than a fuss, unless I was looking at ****, in which case I probably deserve to fired!
Old 01 February 2006, 09:31 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drjsd
Not suggesting I'm looking at something suspect are you? And the beauty is that all the PCs have generic logins so you don't even have to divulge your username.

Only way I think they could get hold of you is if they monitored you whilst on the net and caught you at it.

Besides, they'd have a hell of a time causing anything more than a fuss, unless I was looking at ****, in which case I probably deserve to fired!
anonymous logins - sounds like you ok then!! but to hack/tunnel your way past the firewall is likely to alert any half-decent IT crew...

You never know though -they could be really sh*t at their jobs and all you need to do is strip the proxy and create a 0.0.0.0 ip route to the internet router - but I doubt it!
Old 01 February 2006, 10:09 PM
Kermit
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you mean "proxy avoidance" websites (websense talk).

Its Websense that is blocking you, not the actual firewall.

If they have configured the websense categories/policies correctly (and you have premium groups) then your stuffed, unless you can find a new website that hasn't been categorised yet (assuming you dont block uncategorised sites too).
Old 01 February 2006, 11:26 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

It's actually quite annoying, cos often things I want to look at that are work related are on hosted sites, so that stuffs me! But then on a "break" I want to look at games sites and I'm stuffed there too!

Got to be some way round it short of phoning the weirdos on the "helpdesk" to unblock each individual site. Can imagine how chuffed they would be at 3 in the morning...
Old 01 February 2006, 11:41 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

one way is to enable remote destop connections on your own home PC, then remote destop to your own PC at home and browse the web all you want from there (the traffic is encrypted so websense etc has not a clue what you are looking at). There are a load of gotchas such as no remote desktop client or your works firewall block port 3389.

Other ways are to use SSH port forwarding to/from external machines.

Any way you can come up with using plain old HTTP traffic (such as proxies) through your usual company internet gateway WILL be detected by websense if your IT bods have plumbed it in right.

Last edited by unfeasablylargegonads; 01 February 2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02 February 2006, 12:10 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Unplug it, thats what I do with our St Bast*rd, sorry Bernard box
Old 02 February 2006, 11:40 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unfeasablylargegonads
one way is to enable remote destop connections on your own home PC, then remote destop to your own PC at home and browse the web all you want from there (the traffic is encrypted so websense etc has not a clue what you are looking at). There are a load of gotchas such as no remote desktop client or your works firewall block port 3389.
Hello

I change the port of my remote desktop at home to 22 which is rarely blocked and as a backup (incase all UDP traffic is blocked) have http://www.logmein.com installed on my home computer as well so I can connect to it and surf all those more interesting sites that I would rather work not see.

Steve
Old 04 February 2006, 03:22 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Content filtering bypass, Generic logins, Proxy bypasses, port forwarding, encryption through non standard ports for remote desktop use?

Try and use any of these though my network son and you'll be detected in seconds... IP Address located, full logs neatly packaged up for Fraud & HR and you're off. No questions...

Depends on the company and the business you do... Also depends on the quality of your IT staff (Generic logins? Dear o dear...... ) for how long you'll last..

Seriously.. if your business is financial or does anything where regulatory bodies have an impact, then you're really asking for trouble...

Much easier to ask for a 'dirty machine' for your breaks (we do) or to leave it until you're back at home sat naked in front of the monitor...