Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Citrix Metaframe XPe & W2k3 server licensing question..

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2006, 03:44 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Citrix Metaframe XPe & W2k3 server licensing question..

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm whether or not you need TSCAL's when using Citrix with Windows 2003 server?
I seem to have conflicting information. My understanding is that if you connect to the server using either W2k pro or XP pro then it is not necessary to buy any, as these O/S's have a "free" license?

However I have now been told that since W2k3 server was released there are no such built in licenses anymore and as such you must purchase TSCAL's for any clients connecting to the TS Server.. Apparently however there is a transition period up until June 2007 where you can request from MS, free TS CAL's for clients that you have owned an XP Pro licence for before Windows 2003 Server was released (which was 24th April 2003).

Any help would be most appreciated

Cheers
Simon
Old 31 January 2006, 04:05 PM
Liveit2theMax
Scooby Newbie

Hi Simon

We have a Citrix Farm of 2000 servers runnig in a 2003 envirnment. The TS Licencing Server is also 2003. As long as the Licencing Server has been activated I can't see any issue with Win2k(Prof) / XP devices can't connect.

Not sure if this will be of any help !

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rmservlic.mspx
Old 31 January 2006, 05:23 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Liveit2theMax
Hi Simon

We have a Citrix Farm of 2000 servers runnig in a 2003 envirnment. The TS Licencing Server is also 2003. As long as the Licencing Server has been activated I can't see any issue with Win2k(Prof) / XP devices can't connect.

Not sure if this will be of any help !

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rmservlic.mspx
Thanks for the info, thats exactly what I thought.As long as you activate the licensing server then you are fine...

I have just found this on the MS site which says you do need to buy them but does not mention when used with a 3rd part application such as Citrix.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv.../tsletter.mspx

The mystery continues! Will try to call our reseller tomorrow to see what they say..