Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

numpties guide for getting set up for broadband please!

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2006, 02:48 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face numpties guide for getting set up for broadband please!

thought i had it all figured out, then start reading about needing microfilters (WTF??) and adsl not liking extension leads and now i'm back to square 1 ( ie. confused!)

another thing is why do i have to wait until the line is activated before i install the modem? will it all go wrong if i plug everything in before?

can someone do a clueless git a favour and give me a **** proof setup checklist to get me ready to recieve broadband please? got a modem, but a router seems more highly recomended?

looking at going with a company called Metronet and although actually getting signed up with them and using their service seems straight forward, i need to get my computer 'broadband ready' so to speak.

or am i fussing over nothing?

ta

*edit- ignore the bit about the filter, just found some in the box!)

Last edited by hoskib; 29 January 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 29 January 2006, 03:36 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

All you need to do is get the software installed on your PC. Drivers for the MODEM, account that you will use. It won't hurt to plug in your MODEM and see if your PC recognises and everything.

When the Broadband gets switched on, the first thing you will note is that your phone line will get crackly. Cue for you to plug in your microfilters and your MODEM and phone into the microfilter. Then try to login via the newly installed software you put on earlier. And bask in the speed of how fast the internet is now.
Old 29 January 2006, 03:57 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers for that

one concern is the point about extension leads as my computer is upstairs and there's only the one main phone socket (which is downstairs). the current phone line working my internet connection is an extension lead 'T-eed' off of the junction box in the loft where the external wire enters the house.

although i don't suppose this is a world away from what a BT guy would do if they were to install a phone socket upstairs? guess they spur off of somewhere?
Old 29 January 2006, 04:23 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Similar yes. BT would do it connecting into the back of the socket rather than a T off out of the face.

Some extension cabling will carry the broadband signal fine, some doesn't. I've got my broadband router on an extension, but I wired the extension myself with CAT5 cable to make sure it was a decent signal up to the router.

A friend tried running broadband over a cheap extension cable, and it didn't want to know.

HTH.

John.
Old 29 January 2006, 04:25 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
cheers for that

one concern is the point about extension leads as my computer is upstairs and there's only the one main phone socket (which is downstairs). the current phone line working my internet connection is an extension lead 'T-eed' off of the junction box in the loft where the external wire enters the house.

although i don't suppose this is a world away from what a BT guy would do if they were to install a phone socket upstairs? guess they spur off of somewhere?
That might be an issue. I believe the longest the signal can go on a RJ-11 lead is 1.5 Metres for broadband. You may want to consider looking at a Wirleless set-up. You may be okay with a socket extention. Someone wiser than me should be able help there.
I personally have a wireless Broadband router and a wirless network card.
Old 29 January 2006, 05:07 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I use a broadband NTE which is basically a box that does all the filtering for you removing the need for extra filters at all the sockets. Cat 5 Cable then goes upstairs.

Metronet are good to but will be changing over the next couple of months due to being aquired by plus net
Old 30 January 2006, 08:18 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

ah, **** doesn't sound good for my existing extension cable then (it must be fooking old, everything else in the house is!)

how does a wireless router work then? plug a box of tricks in downstairs and it'll work upstairs?
Old 30 January 2006, 09:12 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
ah, **** doesn't sound good for my existing extension cable then (it must be fooking old, everything else in the house is!)

how does a wireless router work then? plug a box of tricks in downstairs and it'll work upstairs?
You'll need a Wireless router with built in ADSL MODEM (Broadband MODEM) and a Wireless Network Card.

Something on the lines of this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...4&category_oid=
Old 30 January 2006, 09:46 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
You'll need a Wireless router with built in ADSL MODEM (Broadband MODEM) and a Wireless Network Card.

Something on the lines of this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...4&category_oid=
christ, this is gonna be a dear hobby! hope it's worth all the hassle

cheers for the pointers guys