Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

wireless network shared drive

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2006, 04:21 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wireless network shared drive

hi quick wireless question

my set up, 1 x wireless adsl router, 1 x wired pc into router, 1 x wireless laptop. on the wired PC i have an external 500gb USB h/d. I which to share this h/d out, so that the wireless laptop can see it - what do i need to do to achieve this ?

thanks
Old 15 January 2006, 04:27 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

You'd have to leave the machine on the drive is connected to and set the folder options to shared - right click on the drive in My Computer and select Properties then the Sharing tab.
Alternatively buy a router with a usb slot on it (I have the netgear wgt634u) and then you can use the drive even with no other machines switched on.
Old 15 January 2006, 10:52 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
You'd have to leave the machine on the drive is connected to and set the folder options to shared - right click on the drive in My Computer and select Properties then the Sharing tab.
Alternatively buy a router with a usb slot on it (I have the netgear wgt634u) and then you can use the drive even with no other machines switched on.
Also check your firewall settings to make sure your connection isn't getting blocked.