Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Running a Laptop without a fan

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2006, 08:49 PM
Jon_Murgie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running a Laptop without a fan

We have a pretty new (about 1 month old) Fujitsu Siemens laptop and the noise of the fan is really spoiling the use of the machine...

We only use it for surfing the net on the sofa and that's it... nothing else... so it's not that graphic intense or anything that takes up lots of processing power.

I've now removed the fan from the machine but wanted to know the problems that this may cause.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Can you upgrade to silent fans on Laptops like you can on PC's?

Cheers
Jon
Old 08 January 2006, 09:32 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jon_Murgie
We have a pretty new (about 1 month old) Fujitsu Siemens laptop and the noise of the fan is really spoiling the use of the machine...

We only use it for surfing the net on the sofa and that's it... nothing else... so it's not that graphic intense or anything that takes up lots of processing power.

I've now removed the fan from the machine but wanted to know the problems that this may cause.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Can you upgrade to silent fans on Laptops like you can on PC's?

Cheers
Jon

I wouldn't recommend doing what you have done, but the laptop will have a setting that shuts it down when the CPU gets over a certain temp to avoid any permanent damage. So in theory it should be ok, it might just start turning off unexpectedly.
Old 08 January 2006, 11:10 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Jon,

We have a similar machine (2 yrs old) and we had problems with the fan running the whole time - I fixed it but can't remember what it was

I found the fix on the web somewhere, if I remember I'll post it.

p.s. fan hardly runs at all now.
Old 08 January 2006, 11:37 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Aha, sussed it now. Couldn't remember if this was the Fujitsu laptop or the Dell desktop so I checked first.
Go into the Bios when the laptop starts. Select the advanced tab and go down to the CPU features. Select the 'Speedstep Technology' option and disable this option, reboot and hey presto.
Our's is a lifebook S6120, I found this fix on one of the techy bulletin boards.
We didn't notice any difference in performance without Speedstep - whatever it might be...
Old 09 January 2006, 09:04 AM
Jon_Murgie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise guys... I acutally sorted out the issue as it turned out the fan was touching the plastic shroud, so I re-mounted the fan a few mm away from the plastic and now it's nice and quiet again