Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Home desktop PC clock acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2006, 10:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Home desktop PC clock acting funny

PC's about 3-4yrs old now, and the clock has been playing up in the last few days - sometimes I start the PC and the clock reads midnight today, recently it read Jan 2002! Generally I've had problems with ZoneAlarm not loading and an error message about the licence not being compatible (I think the ZA is 2005 and the PC clock reads 2002), and a couple of times the PC hasn't even booted to windows, but has stated there is a CMOS error - I think again something to do with the date being before the OS date.

Is it like a laptop, where you replace a watch battery somewhere in the beige box, and can I do this easily - or is there something funny going on?

Thanks

Brendan.
Old 05 January 2006, 10:56 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like CMOS battery located on the motherboard, These are typically thick coin like shaped. Replacing this should sort the problem....."should"
Old 07 January 2006, 11:01 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i many have bad news for you ... my pc did the same was hacked ..new years eve ..zone alarm was somehow turned off ..and pc clock was backtracked to
2003 ..i was running limewire pro newyears eve ..OUT ON THE BEER ..
and came back to find it running wierd ..it got worse and worse ..till finally xp pro stopped working all together i lost 150g worth of files ..but had a few saved on the second slave hdrive SAVE WHAT YOU CAN NOW TO DISK

if you try to upload zonealarm again and get a true vector error ...YOUR THE SAME AS I WAS ...my agv was also sending back errors ...time to buy a router i think ....after the horse has bolted ..

tried system restore the pc crashed @ 95 % " sounded suspect to me "

then all resore points where deleted .....S.H.I.T happens usually to me

Last edited by badcompany; 07 January 2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07 January 2006, 11:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks both. ZA seems to load and work fine once I've changed the date. Also seems like it holds the time for 12hrs or so, but more than that, it resets. I'm praying it's the battery but I suppose backing up won't do any harm!