Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Poor DSL line quality - time for a new modem?

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2005, 02:16 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor DSL line quality - time for a new modem?

Since moving house a couple of months ago my previously reliable 2Mb line has been replaced by a crappy one that struggles to get above 1Mb.

I have done a line check from a different ISP which confirmed due to the distance from the exchange I would unlikely to achieve 2Mb speeds.

I have read somewhere that high end DSL modem routers can run specific setting for low quality lines (e.g. Draytek models).

Would this improve the speed over my D-link 604+ wireless ADSL router?

cheers

Rich
Old 29 December 2005, 02:45 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I have a Draytek modem/router and it doesn't appear to have that feature. You could always ask around and borrow someones and see if the line att. is any better when a different modem is connected?

Steve
Old 29 December 2005, 08:06 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I take it you have asked BT to do a line check? Just in-case the signal power can be upped or you have crappy cables that need replacing.
Old 30 December 2005, 01:16 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Done the checks - got a report back that it is within acceptable limits

It's just I'm quite far from the exchange.

Had some encouraging options from broadbandbuyer help yesterday - they recommend changing to active ADSL filters (type XF-1e at about £7.50 each), i read reports of them boosting the signal to noise ratio by 10dB.

Worth a try.
Old 30 December 2005, 03:39 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

maybe worth getting a broadband NTE. One box that does the filtering and then no more need for filters at all your outlets. Would be a big help if you are boarderline. Has an RJ11 for the phone and an RJ 45 for the ADSL, me dad made an RJ11 to RJ45 to connect to my draytek router at the time. It gave a 6dB increase in Signal to Noise ratio
Old 30 December 2005, 07:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its mainly down to degridation, either due to distance or when there was a copper shortage in the 70's/80's they use aluminium wire.
The DB can be adjusted but it doesnt mean it will improve your line quality, and in most cases, changing the end equipment will do nothing either.
BT are still researching ways of overcoming these problems, unfortunately they dont have a 100% solution at this time so your stuck in the same boat as me, 1mb broadband.... serves me right for living in the sticks

Tony

PS, i will add that the ultimate thing is to add new equipment to the street furnature to enhance the signal, though it would mean replacing quite alot of street furnature in the process