Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband Dropping Out

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2005, 03:12 PM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband Dropping Out

I have a Linksys WAG54G Wireless Router in my office. It is connected to Wanadoo Broadband via a standard BT line. The BT line also has Redcare monitoring. There are four computers connected to the Wireless Router, some cabled and some wireless.

During a normal working day the broadband drops out several times. The only way to resolve this is by re-starting the Wireless Router.

Any suggestions for resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07 December 2005, 03:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Can you connect to the router via a web interface? If so, have a look and see if there are any diagnostic utils in the interface, for example, traceroute and/or ping.

Use one, or both of them to trace/ping to a few sites you know your browser cannot access, for example, www.google.com, www.bbc.co.uk, etc...

Then try the same thing from your PC by doing:
Start -> Run -> enter cmd and press return.
you'll get a DOS screen from where you can issue the command ping nameofsite where nameofsite is something like www.google.com

The theory here is that if the router can ping/traceroute, but the PC cannot, then the PC's or your internal network is possibly the problem (IP address conflict, wireless network going down, etc...). If the router cannot ping/traceroute, then it shows it's the connection to the internet.

I've had my network go down a few times. The first time it turned out to be an IP address conflict, basically my machines would connect to some sites, and could ping/traceroute some sites, but not all. The router could ping/traceroute without issue. The ISP looked at it and found an IP conflict (assume someone else was using one of my addresses somehow).

The next time I had an issue, I knew to try the ping/traceroute from the router, so I knew it was probably an internal thing. As it was 11pm I didn't phone the ISP and all was ok in the morning.

After that I had another problem, and this time the router could not traceroute/ping, so I knew it was the connection. This was confirmed by the PPPoE interface in the router showing "link down" and an error of "auth failure", after a few calls, things were fixed and it was working again.

Hope this helps
Old 07 December 2005, 04:18 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

My solution was to eventually throw away the WAG54G and buy a different brand. I had loads of problems with mine dropping connections, and never got it working reliably even with the latest firmware updates. Linksys tech support were about as useful as a chocolate saucepan as well..
Old 07 December 2005, 04:35 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

I have the same, it often drops the connection too.
Old 08 December 2005, 09:25 AM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

One of my colleagues has bought in his Netgear Wireless Router this morning, so we are going to see if using this one improves the situation.
Old 08 December 2005, 11:52 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also make sure there are no issues with your ISP, as they sometimes can cause the dropouts. I saw this happen with Bulldog and Plusnet, they were to blame and the hardware/setup was fine. You should find this out when you test the other router though. Also are you losing sync? If so, this is more likely an issue with your line/BT or exchange. Check SNR and attenuation are within the limits for your line speed, as mentioned.
Old 08 December 2005, 03:59 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Is it the new 8meg svs or a standard 2 meg?

If it is the 8 meg, then it is wannados own equipment in the bt exchanges. You will probably have to get them to reduce your capacity to a slower synce speed (say 6 meg) You would be able to check this by accessing the router via the browser interface and doing a check on the line stats, snr and attenuation as previously mentioned.

If it is a standard broadband (half meg, 1 meg or 2 meg) I would check with wannado with regards to the redcare monitoring. I am sure that this is incompatabile with broadband and causes exactly the problems you are having, losing sync etc

If it is okay with broadband then check the following. When you lose connection, is it all the pcs at the same time or just certain individual computers? Is it just the wired or the wireless.

My guess is the redcare is interferring and causeing your modem/router to lose sync. You should have a light on the router that tells you if you have an adsl signal.

All resetting the modem will do is get it to try and sync with the signal again so it may work again perfectly for a while, but will ultimately drop connection again.
Also is the router near any other equipment that could cause interference?
Old 08 December 2005, 10:10 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

i'm with wannadoo and have a similar problem-find they keep changing my ip addy and for some reason if it happens a few times a day the router goes down.some times its stable for weeks then wobbles out 2 or 3 days in a row.
richie
Old 09 December 2005, 10:11 AM
Chachi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Powerkiter
The BT line also has Redcare monitoring.
Pretty sure this might be your problem.
Old 09 December 2005, 10:54 AM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

We have had a Netgear Wireless Router operating for over 24 hours now without the broadband dropping out once. I think the cooments about the Linksys Wireless Router being the cause are correct.

Going to contact Ebuyer and see if they will swap the Linksys for a Netgear.