Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless network - can I boost the signal range?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2005, 07:02 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wireless network - can I boost the signal range?

Netgear DG834GT router - but I can't place it anywhere in the house that can feed all the main rooms in the house. The house is an 'H' shape converted blacksmiths with 3 foot thick walls.
One of the main PC's has a built in wardrobe with foil backed mirror doors between it and the router - will this be causing a problem?
Can I get something that can relay the signal to the rest of the house?

Thanks
Old 01 December 2005, 01:33 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure you can get signal boosters that run through the house electric wiring system.
One end plugs in near your router and the other near the remote pc.

Chris
Old 01 December 2005, 03:16 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You want the DG834PN mate if you can afford to update. It uses 108mbps RangeMAX wireless. It effectively makes your whole house into a hotspot.

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834PN.php

Otherwise as above use boosters, although with your setup u still might have an issue.
Old 02 December 2005, 12:42 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Very stupid suggestion here and i dont quite belive it myself, but has anyone heard of the pringles booster? lol

My mate lives in france, he turns an empty pringles tin upside down on his aerial and says he can get 2.5 miles away before he looses the signal, worth a try?
Old 02 December 2005, 08:53 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Manchester
Very stupid suggestion here and i dont quite belive it myself, but has anyone heard of the pringles booster? lol

My mate lives in france, he turns an empty pringles tin upside down on his aerial and says he can get 2.5 miles away before he looses the signal, worth a try?
I thought this was a **** take till I googled it

If you have time the pringles cantenna is a cheap way to boost your wireless network's signal by 15 feet, however, it beams one way, so pointing it to your bedroom or favorvite place is best. It can be connected to your laptop if your external wireless adapter can have a external anntana or to your wireless router

You need:
All-thread, 5 5/8" long, 1/8" OD
two nylon lock nuts
five 1" washers, 1/8" ID
6" aluminum tubing, 1/4" ID
A female N connector
1 1/2" piece of 12 gauge solid copper wire
A tall Pringles can WITHOUT chips in them (eat them)
2 Pringles can lid (buy two cans of Pringles)

Tools:
Ruler
Scissors
Pipe cutter (or hacksaw or dremel tool, in a pinch)
Heavy duty cutters (or dremel again, to cut the all-thread)
Something sharp to pierce the plastic (like an awl or a drill bit)
Hot glue gun
Soldering Iron

Steps:
1)Mark and cut four pieces of tubing, about 1.2"

2)Cut the all-thread to exactly 5 5/8", leave just enough room for the pipe, washers, and nuts.

3) Pierce a hole in the center of the Pringles can lid big enough for the all-thread to pass through

4)Cut a 3" plastic disc, just big enough to fit snugly inside the can. Use another Pringles lid, with the outer ridge trimmed off, to be ideal. Poke a hole in the center of it, and slip it over one of the lengths of pipe

5)Now, assemble the pipe. You might have to use a file or dremel tool to shave the tips of the thread, if you have trouble getting the nuts on. The pipe is a sandwich that goes on the all-thread like this

6)Tighten down the nuts to be snug, but don't overtighten, just get it snug.

7) measure 3 3/8" up from the bottom of the can. Cut a hole just big enough
for the connector to pass through between Sodium and Protein

8)Straighten the heavy copper wire, and solder it to the connector. When inside the can, the wire should be just below the midpoint of the can. You lose a few db by going longer, so cut it just shy of the middle of the can

9)use hot glue to hold the connector in place. If you have a connector that uses a compression nut and washer, and you're really careful about cutting the hole, you could use that instead.

10)insert the collector assembly into the can, and close the lid. The inside end of the pipe should NOT touch the copper element; it should be just forward of it. If it touches, your all-thread is probably too long

This is a simplier version of:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
Old 02 December 2005, 10:16 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The Pringles antenna as a directional waveguide antenna - which means it only works pointing in one direction. It's therefore useless for your central access point, but could be OK for each workstation. Wouldn't be very convenient with a laptop though
Old 02 December 2005, 10:29 AM
afroking
Scooby Regular

or you can goto cantenna.com and buy one!!