Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Graphics card not working ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2005, 09:32 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphics card not working ?

I recently had my PC updated (more memory, better graphics card)
Installed was a Sapphire Radeon 9550 (256mb DDR Memory) card.
I didn't want anything too powerful as I wont be playing games, will just be internet, spreadsheets & the kids will play their games on it (which are not too heavy on the graphics card)
Since getting it back all seemed OK but trying to re-install the kids games I get :

The program failed to initialize the display
This program requires a DirectX 7 compatible video card and drivers to be installed

The video card box has a little "DirectX 9" logo on it, so I assume its OK

Any ideas ? Re-install drivers ?

I also noticed that on the Internet, when I scroll down using the middle roller on the mouse, the screen scrolls jerkily not smooth like it used to.

Any help really appreciated

Thanks

Ro.
Old 26 November 2005, 09:55 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
I recently had my PC updated (more memory, better graphics card)
Installed was a Sapphire Radeon 9550 (256mb DDR Memory) card.
I didn't want anything too powerful as I wont be playing games, will just be internet, spreadsheets & the kids will play their games on it (which are not too heavy on the graphics card)
Since getting it back all seemed OK but trying to re-install the kids games I get :

The program failed to initialize the display
This program requires a DirectX 7 compatible video card and drivers to be installed

The video card box has a little "DirectX 9" logo on it, so I assume its OK

Any ideas ? Re-install drivers ?

I also noticed that on the Internet, when I scroll down using the middle roller on the mouse, the screen scrolls jerkily not smooth like it used to.

Any help really appreciated

Thanks

Ro.
From what you describe it sounds like the drivers. It maybe that your using windows safe driver. There are ways to check.

1).. At the desktop, right click anywhere on the screen and left click properties. Go to the 'Settings' tab, left click it. In the bit that says 'Display'. Does it tell you that your monitor is connected to a Radeon card? If it says other wise then thats a clue.

2).. Right click the 'My Computer' icon (If using Win XP in classic mode). Then left click properties, select the 'Hardware' tab then left click the 'Device Manager' button. A list of devices should now be shown. The one to look for is Display Adapters. Have a look here if the adapter name has a yellow ! then there is a problem. Or if it reads something on the line of VGA driver (No Radeon mentioned) then windows has not picked up the card and has no drivers.

To solve this: Go here: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27

Pick your operating system and download and install the new drivers (Catalyst).

Or go to the makers website of your card.

It would also be good to get hold of a copy of Directx9c from www.microsoft.com/downloads
Install this. Or if you have a new game to hand, then this should be on this somewhere to be installed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by jpor; 26 November 2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 26 November 2005, 11:31 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

thanks jpor, very helpfull - will try all that