Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Am I infected (Computer!!)

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2005, 01:22 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Am I infected (Computer!!)

Hi

Bit vague so apologies in advance. For the last week or so my machine has switched itself off every night at about 2am. Thought this was because it is in a cupboard and gets quite hot so ignored it. Over the last couple of days though whenever I log on MS antispyware tells me about a Winsock change. I do scan and it comes up clean but cant access the internet, quick reboot all sorted. For the past few months I have noticed an un-named application appear for a couple of seconds on the taskbar and then disappear, every minute or so. Due to its speed i can never catch it in Task manager.

I'm running MS antispyware, Windows firewall and AVG Free (but also scanned off Symatec site which came up clean too).

I'm a bit wary incase someone is waiting for me to type a password in to a website or something.

TIA.

Dave
Old 22 November 2005, 02:08 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

dont post on here - we'll all get it now!
Old 22 November 2005, 03:19 PM
mrsf
Scooby Newbie

Default Download..

Adaware and Spybot from download.com or somewhere similar. Run both of these (be careful as they can do harm just read the notes etc) Also get a decent firewall like BlackIce also get another virus scanner. I use Norton now some people will tell you this is cr@p, others will say use Sophos, McAfee etc. Its all personal choice.....I use the above and don't have any problems with Spyware/viruses etc.

HTH