Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wanadoo Broadband - 2nd Modem?

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2005, 05:08 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanadoo Broadband - 2nd Modem?

I need another modem for a second PC in another part of the house.

Guess Wanadoo would charge me for a 2nd modem, unless I call them and say my original one is buggered & I need a new one, they should then send out a second & I uess not re-claim the first.

Do I need to get one from Wanadoo or can I just buy a Modem from PC world or suchlike?

Thanks

R.
Old 14 November 2005, 05:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Others are probably a bit more knowledgeable than me on this, but I assume you want the other machine to access the internet? I think you might hit a snag having two ADSL modems running on the same line.

What might be better is to get a hub, and a couple of network cables (or go wireless) and simply network the two machines together. You might need to enable internet connection sharing on the main computer, but once done, both machines will be able to access the internet.

I was in a similar position here. XBOX is in the living room, which is where my cable modem used to be. I then switched over to ADSL and that was installed in my office, which is away from the living room. I wondered if I could get another ADSL modem and thus have one in the office and once in the living room. I had a chat with a friend of mine and he said that it probably would not work, especially if I had multiple machines.

So, XBOX not online, hmm, not good. My solution was simple and elegant though. I had my wired network, and hanging off that I had my Airport Extreme Base Station, so I obtained a Airport Express. I set it up as an extension of my exisiting wireless network, and thus that allowed me to get my XBOX online (it would allow any other machine as well, providing it's got an ethernet port) It also gave me the ability to use AirTunes to pump music from my machine to my HiFi in the Living room, which is a nice extra.

The ultra-cheap solution would simply have been to get a very long network cable which ran from my existing switch to the XBOX.

Last edited by Markus; 14 November 2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 14 November 2005, 05:26 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Thanks Marcus.
I want both machines to access the net, but will never be at the same time, so don't really need a router, so looking for easiest/cheapest solution which I guess is another modem on the 2nd PC. Just not sure if I need a "wanadoo" modem, or if their modem is a general modem that can be picked up & will work ?

R.
Old 14 November 2005, 05:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I would have thought it's just a generic ADSL modem. Have a look on their website, or any info they supplied with the original modem that describes how to setup your ADSL connection. My guess is that it would use either a new driver, or, if XP, use the Internet Connection Wizard, which takes care of actually setting up the connection.
Old 14 November 2005, 05:35 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

any general adsl modem for uk use will do the trick
Old 14 November 2005, 06:54 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

I have a spare Wanadoo modem as I changed to their wireless box.

Make me an offer and you can have it.
Old 14 November 2005, 07:32 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Hi Neil - you have PM
Old 15 November 2005, 08:36 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Hi Neil - you have PM
PM back!
Old 15 November 2005, 04:03 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

any adsl modem will do but like someone said in a previous post you wont be able to use both at the same time. Why not just go wireless, it may be more expensive but it means you havent got phone extension cables and network cables lying around the house