ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Wanadoo Broadband - 2nd Modem? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/470908-wanadoo-broadband-2nd-modem.html)

RoShamBo 14 November 2005 05:08 PM

Wanadoo Broadband - 2nd Modem?

I need another modem for a second PC in another part of the house.

Guess Wanadoo would charge me for a 2nd modem, unless I call them and say my original one is buggered & I need a new one, they should then send out a second & I uess not re-claim the first.

Do I need to get one from Wanadoo or can I just buy a Modem from PC world or suchlike?

Thanks

R.

Markus 14 November 2005 05:23 PM

Others are probably a bit more knowledgeable than me on this, but I assume you want the other machine to access the internet? I think you might hit a snag having two ADSL modems running on the same line.

What might be better is to get a hub, and a couple of network cables (or go wireless) and simply network the two machines together. You might need to enable internet connection sharing on the main computer, but once done, both machines will be able to access the internet.

I was in a similar position here. XBOX is in the living room, which is where my cable modem used to be. I then switched over to ADSL and that was installed in my office, which is away from the living room. I wondered if I could get another ADSL modem and thus have one in the office and once in the living room. I had a chat with a friend of mine and he said that it probably would not work, especially if I had multiple machines.

So, XBOX not online, hmm, not good. My solution was simple and elegant though. I had my wired network, and hanging off that I had my Airport Extreme Base Station, so I obtained a Airport Express. I set it up as an extension of my exisiting wireless network, and thus that allowed me to get my XBOX online (it would allow any other machine as well, providing it's got an ethernet port) It also gave me the ability to use AirTunes to pump music from my machine to my HiFi in the Living room, which is a nice extra.

The ultra-cheap solution would simply have been to get a very long network cable which ran from my existing switch to the XBOX.

RoShamBo 14 November 2005 05:26 PM

Thanks Marcus.
I want both machines to access the net, but will never be at the same time, so don't really need a router, so looking for easiest/cheapest solution which I guess is another modem on the 2nd PC. Just not sure if I need a "wanadoo" modem, or if their modem is a general modem that can be picked up & will work ?

R.

Markus 14 November 2005 05:33 PM

I would have thought it's just a generic ADSL modem. Have a look on their website, or any info they supplied with the original modem that describes how to setup your ADSL connection. My guess is that it would use either a new driver, or, if XP, use the Internet Connection Wizard, which takes care of actually setting up the connection.

warrenm2 14 November 2005 05:35 PM

any general adsl modem for uk use will do the trick

Neil W 14 November 2005 06:54 PM

I have a spare Wanadoo modem as I changed to their wireless box.

Make me an offer and you can have it.

RoShamBo 14 November 2005 07:32 PM

Hi Neil - you have PM

Neil W 15 November 2005 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Hi Neil - you have PM

PM back!

jaytc2003 15 November 2005 04:03 PM

any adsl modem will do but like someone said in a previous post you wont be able to use both at the same time. Why not just go wireless, it may be more expensive but it means you havent got phone extension cables and network cables lying around the house