Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New Router Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2005, 07:28 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Router Needed?

Currently I use NTL 2mb cable and have done for about 3 years now. This is distributed around the house by a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

We're moving house in a month or two into an area which is not NTL cabled so looks like ADSL is going to be the only option - no idea who to go with yet there seems to be lots of choice. We're pretty heavy downloaders/gamers so looks like a bit of a minefield with the download limits etc buy anyhow.. to my point...

If going for ADSL am I going to need to invest in a new wireless router and if so can anybody suggest a decent model?

Thanks

David
Old 08 November 2005, 07:46 PM
scooby munkster
Scooby Regular

Location: Essex,chelmsford also another member of the essex scooby crew

Netgear dg834gt, quality mate

Paul
Old 08 November 2005, 08:11 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I also use Netgear. We also supply some Belkin stuff for work - though they seem to get very hot but I would say seem to have a slightly longer range. But thats in no way scientifically proven!

I've heard that some people had problems with dropped connectons on the Netgear DG834 but I believe that is cured now.

My Netgear (can't remember exact model) has never had a problem - recommmended.
Old 08 November 2005, 08:37 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scooby munkster
Netgear dg834gt, quality mate

Paul

Agree with this recommendation. I've been through a few wireless routers and this one is the best I've used. Doesn't crash and doesn't drop connections either. Most professional set up and web interface too. Which shows they've thought about it.

PC World were (are?) doing an offer including a free USB wireless stick.
Old 08 November 2005, 08:42 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I've got the Netgear dg834g (not the gt version). Very simple to setup and has worked fine for me so far
Old 08 November 2005, 09:45 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Netgear DG834G here too, updated to latest version 3.something firmware and no problems at all with it.

Andy.
Old 08 November 2005, 09:48 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
Netgear DG834G here too, updated to latest version 3.something firmware and no problems at all with it.

Andy.
Seems to be a theme starting here
Old 08 November 2005, 10:29 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Did the same thing, except i bought the 4-port DG834 non-wireless as i could rig up a phone socket next to my PC (used to have a set top box) and use a cable, then use the WRT54G as an access point when needed (downstairs PC for parents).

Didn't have confidence in the netgear DG834G at the time, but it seems to be solved now.
Old 08 November 2005, 10:35 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

God NO DON'T get the Netgear it's complete and utter pants!

Awful piece of kit, truly truly terri... No I can't do it. I never could lie convincingly.

Forgive me, it's just that SOMEONE has to argue when so many people recommend and it was past the point when someone would normally!

I've got the netgear as well... great piece of kit (AND I took advantage of the PC World offer!) so go get it
Old 08 November 2005, 10:59 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

i ve used netgear draytek cisco and d link

cisco to expensive but never goes down - more office/business
netgear lasted 6 months and kept needing rebooting - maybe a got a dodgy one but will never buy again
draytek- never went down till a lightingbolt hit the phone line and set it on fire,top bit of kit more for small office use
D-link ( in offer at pc world at the mo with free usb nic) as much as i normally hate d link this is really good but only had it a week, rate it more than my old netgear 11g already
ow and how could i foget the belkin, didnt go down much but the range was terrible

we only use cisco at work now, i use draytek if doing small business consultancy work

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 08 November 2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09 November 2005, 08:25 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I can't vouch for netgear as I haven't used one however I can vouch for Draytek 2006G as i have one. Awesome piece of kit. We had 10 laptops off the wireless connection for 2 weeks where i work and NOT ONE DROPOUT!!!!!!!

Great features on it too, costs a little more but i think the features are worthwhile. new 2800 is looking great too specs below

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html
Old 09 November 2005, 08:33 AM
O.G.
Scooby Newbie

Belkin ADSL wireless products are tops,i sell more belkin than any other brand - i use the 125mps cable router at home. they offer life time warranty + free tech support 24/7/365. look at their pre-n products for max coverage.

check out www.belkin.co.uk and use their net work wizard to see which of their products would help you, best wishes scotty
Old 09 November 2005, 09:29 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Please not the Belkin Lifetime warranty is called as such because it will take you a lifetime to get an answer!!

Though the majority of our Belkin sales have also been excellent - and they support appletalk over airport/wireless too if you have older macs