Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sata raid help

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2005, 09:44 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sata raid help

I'm running XP on an Asus P4C800 Deluxe and being a bit stupid in the begining I connected my 2 Sata drives to the Sata raid connectors in IDE mode rather than the standard Sata ports. Installed XP and everything has run without problems for a few years. The second drive is for backups only and I have been using Ghost 2002 from a boot disk to create an image every now and then. I recently installed Ghost 10 and although the backups in XP work very well when you boot from the CD (to restore an image) it cannot see the second hard drive and only detects the first. I unplugged the two Sata drives and moved them to the standard Sata ports adjusted the bios and now Ghost detects both hard drives. Now the problems begin, XP wouldn't boot using the standard Sata ports as I assume it had been built originally using raid ports so I used the repair option from the XP CD and now windows is back up and running with everything still installed. The problem I have is that the machine feels much slower than before and especially shutdown takes an age. Am I correct in thinking that running XP on the riad ports would have allowed read/write sppeds to the hard drive to be far faster than standard sata ports or do you think the repair has buggered it ?

Thanks for any help.

David
Old 07 November 2005, 06:39 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the drives aren't actually in RAID array, then it doesn't matter which SATA ports you use, but with one proviso: I assume that is an Intel-chipset board? If so, the Intel SATA ports are faster than the secondary (usually Promise) ports if you used them. Other than that, all SATA ports should be the same speed.

The slow boot and shutdown is almost certainly due to driver issues. These may be due to the fact you've changed the ports the drives are on, thus doubling the number of drivers Windows has to load; or due to the re-install causing some confusion.

M