Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Smallest, lighest USB Drive

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 11:46 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smallest, lighest USB Drive

Hello

I'm looking for the smallest and lightest USB drive with at least 1gb.

Can anyone recommend one? I have seen the PNY one seems the smallest.

Thanks.
Old 25 October 2005, 01:13 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have a 128mb one made by SEITEC. has been fine for 3+ years since i had it.

I am now looking for a 1 gb or even a 2 gb one.
Old 25 October 2005, 05:55 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think all the USB pen drives are about the same size and weight. There does not seem to be anything in it.

There are a few things to think about, if I miss any out lets hope others point them out

1) At the capacity you are looking at, they are bound to be USB2, but make sure. You really do not want to be transferring 1Gb over USB 1.1
2) What sort of plug do you want? Some have a cap that covers them to protect them. Others are retracable so that there is no cap to lose
3) Some over encrpytion and password protection built in. They allow you to transfer you data at full speed doing the necessary encryption using a built in hardware decoder. This can be a great feature, as encoding stuff in software on your machine takes time, and is generally a pain
4) Some are water resistant, shock proof etc...The one I got my mum was washing machine proof.....and yes, she tried it
5) OH TRANSFER SPEED ......this is really important, should be at the top of the list, but I cannot be bothered to renumber Just because you have checked that the interface the drive uses is USB2, does not mean that it can transfer data quickly. There are different grades of memory used in these things. The stuff that PC World sells was really REALLY slow when i was looking to get one for my mum. Their transfer rates were 10 times slower than the Corsair one I got for in the end.

Here, as if by magic, is a review of 33 USB flash drives
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/132/usb-.../products.html