Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Poxy MSN problem

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2005, 12:59 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poxy MSN problem

No other s/w installed recently.

MSN unable to login.

"Signing into MSN messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. 81000314."

I have searched 81000314, but guess what no help exists for this error code.

Any ideas?

I have another pc connected to same network, they are logged in fine....

TIA

Buck
Old 24 October 2005, 01:08 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

My PC had the same error code yesterday, I just thought it was to do with MSN's server.
My NTL email was also not working for most of the day.

Maybe it's just one server with certain user names on it that can't log in? I take it the other PC used a different login screen name?
Old 24 October 2005, 03:32 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Buck,

I've been getting this at home - for some reason it won't log in using my hotmail.com but if I change to my missus' hotmail.co.uk it will login!!! I then logout and try to login with my hotmail.com again and it er works :
Old 24 October 2005, 04:05 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Just created different a/c, different em addy, same PC, works fine......

ucking Micro****e......

Buck
Old 24 October 2005, 04:31 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Weird really.... would be interested if anyone knows what it is. I haven't bothered with MSN Help cos they're crap auto responses from "I'm please to be helping you today sir" with no friggin reply address if you wanna ask another Q!
Old 25 October 2005, 09:34 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

I can now log in normally on both a/c's....

Had this reply from MS, but not needed to try it:
Thank you for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. My name is Marta and I am responding to let you know that the .Net Messenger service is currently experiencing technical difficulties. MSN apologizes for the inconvenience, and appreciates your patience as we work around the clock to restore service.

To view service status, customers can use the following link: http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx. Alternatively, we advise simply to try again in a couple of hours.

In the meantime, some customers have success using MSN Web Messenger as a work-a-round. In Internet Explorer, browse to http://webmessenger.msn.com/ and follow the simple instructions for logging in with your .Net Passport. Note: On some occasions, MSN Web Messenger will be affected by the same outages as our other services.

If issues persist, please read:

1. The .NET Messenger service may be experiencing temporary connectivity issues. To verify the status of the .NET Messenger service, visit http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx .

2. Try to sign in again later.

3. If the issue persists, follow these steps to clear the MSN Messenger cache:
a. If MSN Messenger is running, right-click the Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit."
b. Open a Command Prompt window:
- On Microsoft Windows XP, click "Start," click "Run," type "cmd," and then click "OK."
c. At the command prompt, type "CD\", and then press ENTER.
d. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
CD %appdata%\microsoft
e. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
CD "MSN MESSENGER"
f. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
DEL /s ListCache.dat

Note: This command deletes all the ListCache.dat files in all subfolders. You may see a list of the files that are being deleted.

g. At the command prompt, type "exit", and then press ENTER.
h. Restart MSN Messenger.

4. If the issue persists, send us a connect log file.
a. If you are not already using MSN Messenger 7.0 or 7.5, install the latest version:
i. Start Internet Explorer, and then visit http://messenger.msn.com/download.
ii. Under "Registered MSN User," click "Go." The program is automatically downloaded.
iii. Follow the instructions in the MSN Messenger Setup wizard to complete the installation.
iv. Click "Finish."

b. To generate connectivity logs for MSN Messenger 7.0 or 7.5, follow these steps:
i. Right-click the Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit."
ii. Delete the already existing connection log file.
a. Start MSN Messenger 7.0 or 7.5, but do not sign in.
b. On the MSN Messenger "File" menu, click "Open Received Files."
c. In the My Received Files folder, locate and select the MsnMsgr.txt file, and then press DELETE.
iii. Start MSN Messenger, but do not sign in.
iv. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options."
v. In the "Options" dialog box, click "Connection."
vi. Click "Advanced Settings," and then make sure that the "Save a log of my server connections to help troubleshoot connection problems" check box is selected in the "Connection Logging" section.
vii. Close the "Options" dialog box.
viii. To sign in to MSN Messenger again, click "Sign In." The new connectivity log file (MSNMsgr.txt) is automatically generated in the My Received Files folder that is described in step 4.b.ii.c.
d. To send the MsnMsgr.txt log file to Messenger support, send a reply back to the support incident response, and attach the log file to the e-mail.

Thank you again for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. If issues persist, please do not hesitate to contact us back for additional assistance

Best Regards,

Marta,
MSN Messenger Technical Support Team