Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Copying a file to a memory card ??

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2005, 09:39 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copying a file to a memory card ??

Anyone offer any advice on the following problem I have in trying to copy a file I have on my main pc to my PDA by way off active sync ?? when I click on " copy " nothing happens, I take it I am correct in saying that you would highlight the wanted file then click on " copy " correct ??

never had to do anything like this on the pc before but I took at that when I clicked on " copy " I would have been given a drop down list of what I wanted to do with the copied file ?? and one off them would have been to transfer to memory card, but as I say nothing happens at all, tried double right clicking on the wanted file and choosing " copy " this way but still nothing ???!!

do I press copy and paste maybe ?? as I say all I want to do is transfer the file from pc to the sd card on my pda.

I have moved the copy protection slider down on the sd card so it is obviously not this and I know that the active sync connection is working okay as I can view the pda`s contents on the main pc.

just at a loss on what to do next ??!!

I take it that the original programme that is on the sd card already wont be written over the top off if this new file is installed as well ?? there is more than enough memmory space on the card forthe currantly installed programme and new wanted file.

cheers folks,
john
Old 09 October 2005, 09:47 AM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Easiest way is to put the card in a computer slot if you have one and just go there via My Computer and drag and drop or cut and paste.

Alternatively, you can navigate through My Computer into your Pocket PC and just drag and drop etc. Find that's probably the easiest way.
Old 09 October 2005, 09:54 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Alternatively, you can navigate through My Computer into your Pocket PC and just drag and drop etc. Find that's probably the easiest way.
What he said. Simple.

Dan
Old 09 October 2005, 09:59 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick reply mate !!

unfortuantely no card slot on the pc so your second suggestion sounds beter in my sitaution !!

any ideas why nothing happens when I click on " copy ", should it as I say give me the option on where I want to copy the file too ??

without sounding a pain mate ??!! any chance you could explain exactly what I need to do to navigate thru my computer and copy and paste etc as you suggest ?? as I say total novice in this side off things !!

thanks.
Old 09 October 2005, 10:27 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Jono,

The "copy & paste" function doesn't give you that option. You just "copy" (or CTRL "C") the file, and then "paste" (CTRL "V") into the active window - the Pocket PC screen. You can then navigate to the memory card.

Copy and paste, copies into an imaginary clipboard (storage) - you can then paste this information to virtually any destination. EG If I copied any of my desktop icons, I could paste it into "My Computer" in the screen dump below, or the Pocket PC in the one below that

From here you can access your card. - Can't do a screen dump as I've, umm..... filed my card in a very safe place!! Got a new one on order

Hope this helps

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 09 October 2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09 October 2005, 10:46 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the explanation mate, appreciatte it.
john