Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

W98 - graphics question ??

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2005, 02:58 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W98 - graphics question ??

Help !!

following a complete back to factory reboot on my windows 98 pc, I am left with what appaer to be very poor graphics, grainy colours instead off the sharp colours / fonts that were there before.

now the pc was once installed with an upgraded voodoh ( spelling ?? ) graphics card, with this reboot off the pc does this mean that the software that went with the graphics card will have to be reinstalled ??

bit off a problem if so as I dont have the software anymore !!! so

1/ how do I find it what graphics card is actually fitted to the machine?? is it written anywhere on the pc files ??

2/ can I download the neccesary software ??

3/ is there anything within w98 that I can change to get better colours / graphics compared to what I have just now ?? had a quick look but only see choose 2 colour or 16 colour changes, is there anything else I can try ??

cheers,
john
Old 04 October 2005, 09:53 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jono300
Help !!

following a complete back to factory reboot on my windows 98 pc, I am left with what appaer to be very poor graphics, grainy colours instead off the sharp colours / fonts that were there before.

now the pc was once installed with an upgraded voodoh ( spelling ?? ) graphics card, with this reboot off the pc does this mean that the software that went with the graphics card will have to be reinstalled ??

bit off a problem if so as I dont have the software anymore !!! so

1/ how do I find it what graphics card is actually fitted to the machine?? is it written anywhere on the pc files ??

2/ can I download the neccesary software ??

3/ is there anything within w98 that I can change to get better colours / graphics compared to what I have just now ?? had a quick look but only see choose 2 colour or 16 colour changes, is there anything else I can try ??

cheers,
john
Hi John,

It sounds as though that you are using Microsofts safemode VGA driver (16 colours only) to get a display. Unfortunately Voodoo Cards are no longer made as the company who owned them (3DFX) were bought out out a few years ago by Nvidia. When Win98 was brought out by Microsoft, Voodoo cards were manufactured by different 3rd party manufacturers, e.g Creative. And therefore there were not many drivers bundled with Win98 to identify the different manufacturers.

To identify your card you may need to open up the case and look at the card itself. In most instances a 3DFX logo will be found. From the sounds of it you may have a voodoo 3 AGP card (Or PCI), depending how old the PC is. To obtain drivers you can try here: http://www.voodoofiles.com/
These will be generic Voodoo card drivers and should get you back to the land of 16-24bit colour again.