Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Storeing my CD's on to PC

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 11:31 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storeing my CD's on to PC

I have just dowloaded I-tunes and want to store my CD collection on my PC. I have copied an album onto my hard drive but I-tunes are converting them to Mpeg-4 is this better than MP3?
I have loads of CD's so don't want to mess about too much. I would like to stick the CD in press a button and copy my Cd's to the hard drive and have them all indexed.
What does everyone else use and find best?

Cheers

Jer
Old 21 September 2005, 02:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iTunes default is to import files as AAC encoded files, hence the MPEG 4 encoding. If you go into the importing options for iTunes you can tell it what to convert to when it imports, so you could get it to change them to MP3 if you like.

If the CD's are audio cd's, ie; NOT MP3 cd's then I'd let it convert them to AAC as the file size is a bit smaller. If the CD's are MP3 cd's then it will essentially be recompressing a compressed file which could lead to sound degredation, then again, maybe not.