Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP2 can't write CDs

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2005, 07:07 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP2 can't write CDs

When I try to write files to a CD (using windows wizard) I get the following error:

There is no disc in the drive
Please insert a writable CD into E:\

This worked BEFORE I installed Service pack 2, no problems. Install SP 2 and the above error occurs. Uninstall SP 2 and the problem goes away. Install SP 2 again and the problem re-occurs.

Any ideas?

Don't know what the drive is, however using a 'detect firmware' prog I get the following: IDE-CD R/RW 12x8x32 Firmware Version N3.8
Old 14 September 2005, 08:03 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dracoro
When I try to write files to a CD (using windows wizard) I get the following error:

There is no disc in the drive
Please insert a writable CD into E:\

This worked BEFORE I installed Service pack 2, no problems. Install SP 2 and the above error occurs. Uninstall SP 2 and the problem goes away. Install SP 2 again and the problem re-occurs.

Any ideas?

Don't know what the drive is, however using a 'detect firmware' prog I get the following: IDE-CD R/RW 12x8x32 Firmware Version N3.8
Have you been to www.windowsupdate.com as I seem to recall there is an update/patch available for the built in burner software. If still no joy have you considered downloading and installing nero burning rom?