Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ebay account hijack, what's the point?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2005, 02:16 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Ebay account hijack, what's the point?

Hi

My wife is an experienced Ebayer. She noticed that there was an item listed on her account that was nothing to do with her. It was for some "new" speakers from a seller in the US (ebay.com). The speakers had 1 photo of them standing on a grubby concrete floor & had almost no text apart from it needed a quick sale & giving the seller's email address. The listing was for 1 day only. The reserve was US$7000 & the speakers new are worth US$8000.

My wife has a long random password of uppper/lower case & numbers, I don't think her Ebay account password has been hacked. Her postal address had not been changed, neither had her email address or password.

As a precaution, she has informed Ebay & also changed her password & reminder hint details.

What could a hacker gain from this? If it was fraud, then why have such a high reserve? Why not change the account details?
Old 13 September 2005, 02:49 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does she use bid snipers?
Old 13 September 2005, 03:17 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

The hacker probably gains an account with decent feedback that the buyers will trust. Come sale completion, they will probably ask for a cheque or something sent to a different address and leave your wife in a pile of trouble
Old 13 September 2005, 04:34 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Does she use bid snipers?
What's a bid sniper?
Old 13 September 2005, 04:36 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Hanslow
The hacker probably gains an account with decent feedback that the buyers will trust. Come sale completion, they will probably ask for a cheque or something sent to a different address and leave your wife in a pile of trouble
Yes, I can see that could happen, but also my wife would receive the end of auction info as the contact info had not been changed. She had a really good random password though & I don't see how it could have been guessed.
Old 13 September 2005, 04:56 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Are you sure she didn't fall for the eBay re-registration hoax that is doing the rounds?
Old 13 September 2005, 08:39 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Daz34
Are you sure she didn't fall for the eBay re-registration hoax that is doing the rounds?
Good point, but absolutely 100% not.
Old 13 September 2005, 10:23 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

keylogger trojan is possible ?
Old 13 September 2005, 10:54 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevem2k
keylogger trojan is possible ?
Good point, but she has McAfee Enterprise v8, Adaware Plus v1.06 & ISA 2004 Firewall + hardware firewall for it to get through. It's pretty difficult to zap us!
Old 17 September 2005, 10:33 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Wifey's Ebay account got hacked again! This time, it was Ebay who told her & they changed her password & emailed her. As before, the hacker had not changed her address details or changed her email account. As Ebay had already deleted the fraudulent listings we do not know any more.

We are sure though that my wife's password could not have been guessed. It's a long, completely random mix of upper/lower case letters & numbers. She does not have any spyware or viruses on her pc & does not access her Ebay account from anywhere other than at home. I am sure that the security lapse is somewhere within Ebay.

We are pleased that we constantly ignore Ebay's requests to lodge credit card details on her account!