Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP hang on boot

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 08:15 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XP hang on boot

XP Pro SP2, Virusscan Enterprise 8.0i patch 10, Adaware Pro SE v1.06 including Adwatch, Microsoft ISA 2004 Firewall, access to Internet via ISA 2004 & router\firewall attached to 2nd server nic. Regular adware/virus scans, Registry cleaned using JV16 tools. Everything patched & up to date.

My wife left her pc on while we watched TV for a few hours, then when we came back to it, it had switched the display into W2k mode, closed a couple running programs & the hard drive was constantly thrashing. Earlier today, she had been having some website probs. The computer will not now boot into anything other than Safe mode. When in safe mode, I get 2 program crashes including Dr Watson & I have an hourglass when I hover over the start button & task bar. The BIOS had changed the SATA hard drive setting out of SMART mode. When I turned SMART back on, I got a BIOS message warning me the hard drive was bad & I should backup the drive & replace it. I ran Memtest86 & got a whole page of memory errors on the first run. A swap around of the 2 RAM sticks did not help. System restore just hangs.

A few months back, we started having problems with the MS Intellimouse only moving the pointer slowly across the screen. A reboot would fix it. I had tried replacing the drivers to various versions. A non Intellimouse was fine. The problem happened whether it was connected to a mouse or USB port.

My first thought was hard drive failure, but I can't understand the Memtest results being so bad. Could the mobo be down?

My wife's system:
MSI 865PE Neo2 PFS | Pentium 4 3.0gHz/800 HT | Kingston PC3200 1GB dual ch | MSI FX5200 T128 | Samsung 120GB SATA | TDK CDRW | Enermax Noisetaker EG425AX-VE(G) 420W +3.3v=32a, +5v=36a, +12v=15/14a | CoolerMaster Praetorian | Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 12 September 2005, 09:29 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran Memtest86 & got a whole page of memory errors on the first run. A swap around of the 2 RAM sticks did not help.
This will be your problem.

Try removing one of the sticks - if it fails swap them over.

It's unlikely that both have failed - so check your BIOS to make sure the settings are correct.

J
Old 12 September 2005, 02:18 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Thanks for your reply

I have already tested the RAM sticks, the error happens with either installed. I'm not sure if it is worth buying new sticks if the mobo might be blown? There's not a lot to set about the memory in the BIOS. The mobo is not overclocked.
Old 12 September 2005, 02:21 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your HDD is borked, try another if u have a spare. Or boot into DOS from a floppy/XP CD, and run scandisk with sector checking on it.
Old 12 September 2005, 04:43 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the Hard Disk is on it's last legs, could be the Swapfile is sitting on the bad part of the disk and when it's booting up it's hanging because it can't access it. Try rebooting the PC with an XP CD in and go to the recovery console. Once at the prompt type chkdsk /f c: this will scan and fix the disk if it can. Would be worth a back up of any data if you can before you do it.
Old 12 September 2005, 06:18 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the replies

I tried the same RAM from another computer in the busted one with no luck. I've ordered a new hard drive - should be with me tomorrow.