Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dual boot, can I reformat C:

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 12:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual boot, can I reformat C:

I have a single hard drive which I used Partition Manager on, creating a new D drive on which I have installed a fresh XP and it is working a lot nicer than the old set.

On startup if offers the two installations to boot from.

Can I format my original C partition without losing the boot "sector" or whatever it is these days?

Can I later remove the C partition or will D then become C and confuse everything?

In essence I just want to tidy it all up a bit.
Old 31 August 2005, 01:22 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

It would be easier to use some software like the one you bought to sort it out. Certainly can be done, but don't take the task lightly.
Old 31 August 2005, 02:36 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
I have a single hard drive which I used Partition Manager on, creating a new D drive on which I have installed a fresh XP and it is working a lot nicer than the old set.

On startup if offers the two installations to boot from.

Can I format my original C partition without losing the boot "sector" or whatever it is these days?

Can I later remove the C partition or will D then become C and confuse everything?

In essence I just want to tidy it all up a bit.
If u format c:\ u will erase the boot.ini which is the loader to your OS on d:\ So you wouldnt be able to boot into XP on d:\

What would work is if u delete everything on c:\ except for all the files in the root of c:\ including the hidden/system files.

And then either mod the boot.ini so it only gives u the one choice to boot into XP off d:\ In that case you wont see the boot loader menu at startup.

Or you can achieve the same as above;

From the Control Panel

System/Advanced/Startup n Recovery

Set the Default operating system to XP on your d:\ drive.

Uncheck 'Display List of Operating systems' Or leave it checked until you know you have selected the right install of XP

Ideally u should have your clean XP on c:\ but to do that without reinstalling is a little more involved.