Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

copying from one hard drive to another

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2005, 12:50 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copying from one hard drive to another

Hi
I have 2 internal hard drives. One i use for backing up to. i also have an external hard drive i use to back up to, though with no real organisation on how to do this.
i have one question for backing up to both but i will concentrate on the internal hard drives.
When i copy from hard drive 'C' to hard drive 'E' (C is partitioned C & D) it will add to D all the new photos that have been recently added to C
(by the camera software).
If though, i have accidently deleted some on 'C' in a folder dated say 05/05/05, will it replace the folder dated 05/05/05 in 'E' (which was backed up say- 2 month ago and was then exactly the same) with the new version which has some photos missing. ie will the backed up folder 05/05/05 in 'E' , with say - 20 photos in, be replaced with 'C' 05/05/05 and i will permanently loose some photos?
cheers
Michael
Old 07 August 2005, 01:05 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by super slider
Hi
I have 2 internal hard drives. One i use for backing up to. i also have an external hard drive i use to back up to, though with no real organisation on how to do this.
i have one question for backing up to both but i will concentrate on the internal hard drives.
When i copy from hard drive 'C' to hard drive 'E' (C is partitioned C & D) it will add to D all the new photos that have been recently added to C
(by the camera software).
If though, i have accidently deleted some on 'C' in a folder dated say 05/05/05, will it replace the folder dated 05/05/05 in 'E' (which was backed up say- 2 month ago and was then exactly the same) with the new version which has some photos missing. ie will the backed up folder 05/05/05 in 'E' , with say - 20 photos in, be replaced with 'C' 05/05/05 and i will permanently loose some photos?
cheers
Michael
NO, the folders containing your photos on C: and D: are now seperate, if you delete 5 photos from the C:\ then you will STILL have a copy of the photos on your D:\. This is the reason why you are 'backing up' your photos
Old 07 August 2005, 06:08 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

thanks. i had to be sure
Old 07 August 2005, 07:48 PM
smokebelch
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Going off at a bit of a tangent here ...

I use "karens replicator"(http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp) for managing file copies across drives.

You can set it up in various ways, but basically it replicates changes you make to a given directory to a mirrored one.

You might find this usefull