Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

10.3.9, 10.4.2 and Active Directory

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2005, 04:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 10.3.9, 10.4.2 and Active Directory

Good morning all,

Not sure how many of the mac chaps here have machines that authenticate via the AD Directory Service Plugin, but thought I'd ask, just in case.

After finally getting my AD server setup correctly (Windows 2003 SP1) I can finally bind my 10.3 and 10.4 clients to AD, yay

The only problem I have is that the machines will not login as any of the AD accounts and I cannot work out why. The system.log, console.log and directoryaccess.log give no meaninful information as to why it won't work, there aren't any errors that I can determine in them.

I'm somewhat confused as if I login into the 10.4.2 client, jump into terminal and issue dsconfigad -show, it shows the machine as being bound correctly, but I know I'm bound ok as the bind did not fail.

So, I jump into dscl and issue an 'ls' and I can see "Active Directory" listed, so, long story short, I can cd /Active Directory/All Domains/Users/alpha (alpha being one of my users) I can then issue a -read command and it does show me the MCX settings plus other info (home directory path, SID's etc).

Now, maybe I'm mistaken here, but would the above not indicate that the machine can indeed connect and read information from the AD domain, in which case, why won't the authentication on the login dialog work? Is there a piece of the puzzle I'm missing here?
Old 05 August 2005, 04:16 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what you loging in as?

are you using the upn name? is dns configured correctly?

(Know nothing at all about macs!)

Can you query ad via LDAP?

David
Old 05 August 2005, 04:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm logging in using the value specified in D as "login name" in this case a user account called "alpha"

UPN name? wassat? assume that is probably alpha@ads.hires-test.com (ads.hires-test.com being the domain and forest name - this is the domain controller btw)

as far as I'm aware DNS is configured, that was my inital problem in getting the mac to bind to the domain, the DNS was not setup, after seting it up the Mac will bind, so it "sees" the server.

as for query via LDAP, ok, how would I do that? what unix command could/would I use?
Old 05 August 2005, 05:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, think I've cracked the LDAP browsing thing.

I downloded LDAP Browser and also had a bit of a read of this article.

Bottom line, on the mac I'm trying to authenticate from, I can use LDAP browser to connect to the server and I do get a list of various things (CN=Users, CN=Computers, etc) and I can view records.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:27 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so dns is working correctly.

run eventvwr on the domain controller and see if there is anything in the security log.

I would guess that you need to use the UPN name unless you can specify the domain name.

your guess is correct for the upn name.

you should be able to do nslookup ads.hires-test.com which should resolve to the IP add's for the dc's for that domain.

Do they mention anything about what version of kerberos authentication it supports?

David
Old 05 August 2005, 08:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks David, I'll run through those things. Pretty sure I have done the nslookup thing and it does resolve to the IP addy of the server.

As for kerberos, I'll have a look at that.

Thanks again
Old 11 August 2005, 06:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

First up,
David, thanks for all your suggestions. I tried nslookup and it showed the correct DNS resolution. I also tried using LDAP Browser and could connect and view the information.

Next up,
I've resolved the issue. It was my own silly fault, or lack of troubleshooting (I should know better). There is a "mappings" section in the configuration that allows you to map AD atrributes instead of dynamically generated info from OS X.

Since turning off the mappings, it works, lovely