Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

fat32 to ntfs??

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2005, 06:35 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fat32 to ntfs??

converting from fat32 to ntfs

i have read that you can convert from 32 to nt via xp,s os

question, does it just convert the c: drive, or will it do my e: drive which is embedded within my c: drive??

if not, is it possible and how

regs

Mart
Old 31 July 2005, 07:19 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I have heard that it is doable. Never trusted my OS when it comes to fiddling with partitions.

Personally I use something called Acronis Disk Director Suite to do what you are talking about. Its not free though

Hopefully someone may be able to tell you how to get Windows to do it.
Old 31 July 2005, 07:26 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just had a look for you.....hmmm...is all i can say. I would not trust it anyway.....

Go to start, run, type cmd. Then type help convert. That will tell you all you need to know *cough*

Please note, that once you have converted with this utility you cannot convert back. I would suggest that you perform a FULL backup before doing this.

Something that is good at backups is Aconis True Image, espeically if you have an external HDD to hand...but again, its not free........
Old 31 July 2005, 07:39 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Just had a look for you.....hmmm...is all i can say. I would not trust it anyway.....

Go to start, run, type cmd. Then type help convert. That will tell you all you need to know *cough*

Please note, that once you have converted with this utility you cannot convert back. I would suggest that you perform a FULL backup before doing this.

Something that is good at backups is Aconis True Image, espeically if you have an external HDD to hand...but again, its not free........
Yep done this many a time on NT 4, 2000 & XP. As above but type convert /? for a full rundown list of what to do.

I would consider the backup. When you run the command it may ask you to reboot as the primary disk may not be unmounted when live. XP will reboot and on the next bootup will perform the change over from FAT32 to NTFS, and then if memory serves reboot again into NTFS mode and whala!
Never had a problem when I've done it in the past but you never know. If in doubt backup.
Old 01 August 2005, 07:57 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Done!!

all drives, and including the embedded one...

didnt take long either ... bout 5 mins per drive...

now to apply some security policys....

Mart