Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Solid state hard disk - interesting new device

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 11:40 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid state hard disk - interesting new device

Found this new device pretty interesting.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2480

Fancy a solid state hard disk with a transfer rate of potentially 1.6GB/s ? Right now, this device is limited by the 150MB/s SATA interface, but its an interesting device, with plenty of scope for the future

its about time we moved away from conventional hard disks and found something faster - this is at least a start
Old 27 July 2005, 09:40 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Interesting idea, but could prove a bit expensive if you need to go and buy RAM for it. Although I do like the idea of just adding more storage space when you run out rather than replacing the whole HDD is good. Would take up a lot of physical space too unless manufacturer's start producing huge RAM sticks.

No doubt another manufacturer will jump on it and improve things - but an 8gb "hard disc" is a bit useless today for new machine. Unless it links into a conventional HDD so you don't lose anything when the power is off then I don't see it taking off unfortunately.

Whatever happened to those organic storage "brains" that were promised years ago?

Last edited by messiah; 27 July 2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 27 July 2005, 12:50 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

SATA isn't the fastest hard drive, if you buy a U320 SCSI card and HDD you can get double the transfer rates of SATA
Old 27 July 2005, 01:27 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Me and a mate were talking about something like this the other night. We were wondering about the possibilities of having some solid state ram to install the OS on to have (hopefully) near instantaneous boot time from first turning the machine on. Given the relative cheapness of memory these days, would manufacturers go for a hard wired 1/2/4GB chip that was specifically for the OS and improve the system such that a power on would dump you straight into your OS almost instantaneously?
Old 27 July 2005, 02:18 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Cray T90 systems used to have a solid state "disk" of about 400Gb. It was used to stage work on and off physical disks and also acted at temporary storage. Was a clever system that worked well.

I could certainly do with a very fast "disk" for things like scratch disks for Photoshop etc. and maybe even the Windows swap file.

All depends on price I guess.

Cheers

Ian