Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Thicko Broadband questions

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2005, 09:28 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thicko Broadband questions

I have a half meg broadband account but i'm paying just over £20.00 month for it. I like everything about it but i dont like the price. Okay it was good for 12 months ago but reading a few threads on here is making me think i'm seriously being ripped off

The criteria that i would be looking for is the following:

1. Minimum half meg line, with guarentees that thats what i'm going to get

2. Ability to move up to 1 meg line or higher if i have a rather large file i wish to download and then drop back down to half meg when i want, only paying the extra for when i use 1 meg.

3. No capping of time or downloaded material.

4. No 12 month contract.

5. Something that i can use my existing filters and box thingy with.

Sorry if its been done to death but i couldnt find anything that answered such specific questions in search

TIA
Old 01 July 2005, 09:36 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

I'm with Central point which ain't to bad. I have 512k and paying £18.99 with a 3 month contract with download limit or time limit.
Old 02 July 2005, 01:09 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

1. Minimum half meg line, with guarentees that thats what i'm going to get

- If you migrate to another ISP then the least you'll get is 512K. Can't be 100% sure, but a migration is usually done like for like when it comes to speed. Depending on who you go for you might get up to 2 meg, depending on your line, though you may have to pay to be upspeeded.

2. Ability to move up to 1 meg line or higher if i have a rather large file i wish to download and then drop back down to half meg when i want, only paying the extra for when i use 1 meg.

- I doubt you will get this at the moment. Speed changes can't just be switched higher and lower at your whim, BT have to be involved. There's plenty of ISP's out there who'll give you 2 meg for the 512K price you're paying (or cheaper).

5. Something that i can use my existing filters and box thingy with

- You should be OK whatever ISP you go with, assuming you don't switch to cable.

If I use my ISP, Plusnet, as an example -

You could migrate to Plusnet for free on a monthly contract. You would be migrated to them on your current speed of 512K. At the moment with them, you have 2 (real) options.
The £14.99 package is uncapped, but they throttle Peer to Peer stuff at peak times, i.e. downloads for P2P may well drop below 20Kb/sec. Normal surfing wouldn't be affected.
The £21.99 package removes those restrictions and gives a few minor additions over the cheaper package.
Plusnet recently put a bulk regrade in to BT to get all their customers' ADSL upgraded to the fastest their lines will support, up to 2 meg. As a new customer I'm not sure if this would apply, that's something you'd have to raise with them before you considered migrating. There is the option of paying £14.99 to have your line upspeeded now, rather than waiting for BT to get around to your exchange.

Dave.

Last edited by Phantom_Flan_Flinger; 02 July 2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03 July 2005, 03:02 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

NTL 49.99 a month gets me the following.
2Meg broadband - no limits and VERY reliable
Telephone - all calls nationwide / international(I think) included 24/7 no black out times
Standard TV package (used in spare bedroom)
Old 03 July 2005, 05:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

There are sites that try to list all of the Broadband deals that are available in the country at this time. Naturally it is best to have a look at a couple of sites.

I have links to these sites, but as my main machine burnt out a few days ago they are not currently accessible. Have a Google search, or a search in here too. I think a few were posted in similar threads.

FFWIW, I am with e7even. They are incredibly cheap, I think they are the cheapest in the UK. Its a pretty bare bones service, and you have a contract, so it may not be what you are after. Basically I pay what has worked out to be £12.95 per month for a 2MB link, but am contracted for 24 months.

EDIT. There are no download limits, but they specifically ban ILLEGAL P2P. So if you want to do lots of that this may not be the deal for you. So far I have done a fair few Gb of P2P without any issue.
Old 03 July 2005, 07:43 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

There is the option of paying £14.99 to have your line upspeeded now, rather than waiting for BT to get around to your exchange.
PFF, Thats interseting, do you have a link to their site?

Thanks to everyone else I'm going to do a google to see if i can find a site that lists all the ISP's, unless someone already has a link???

Cheers again, much appreciated
Old 03 July 2005, 09:46 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

ADSLGuide in my opinion is the best overall site to look at. There's plenty to look at, including furums, hardware tests, the ability to compare ISP's for reliabilty, Customer Support and speed. The comparisons are done from data supplied by customers.

Plusnet's website is here. I'm not sure if you'd be able to request the upspeed at the same time as you placed your migration request, but I'm pretty sure the migration takes place first on a like for like basis and then Plusnet get BT to upspeed your line (for your £14.99).

Dave.
Old 04 July 2005, 01:25 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phantom_Flan_Flinger

Plusnet's website is here. I'm not sure if you'd be able to request the upspeed at the same time as you placed your migration request, but I'm pretty sure the migration takes place first on a like for like basis and then Plusnet get BT to upspeed your line (for your £14.99).

Dave.
I requested mine was regraded at the same time as the migration. In reality it happened a couple of days after the connection was live.

cheers
Steve
Old 04 July 2005, 02:30 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Eclipse Flex Broadband...
http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?...entialservices

..or 2Mb line for £14.99 pm, subject to 1GB/month limit - then PAYG per GB
..or 2Mb line for £19.99 pm, subject to 5GB/month limit - then PAYG per GB (my tariff and never got to more than 4GB/month)

Bit expensive on the setup fee though
Old 05 July 2005, 01:47 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartinM

Bit expensive on the setup fee though
...but I read on www.adslguide.org.uk today that...

<<For new customers joining Eclipse and its FLEX services during July 2005, there is a free modem and activation offer, normally this would cost £84.74.>>