Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iTunes moved to new HDD

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2005, 07:05 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iTunes moved to new HDD

Hi all,
In the next month I am going to be getting a new HDD, so ill have two in my PC. Now what i want to do is move everything iTunes related to the new HDD. I know you can change the place where the songs are kept. But what do i do about itunes itself (the software), because i am going to Format the HDD that itunes is currently on and if i do so i will lose all info in itues etc...??

So can i change the place where itunes stores the music ( MY Music folder) to the new HDD and then install the itues software on the new HDD, but what do i do about the file lists and the settings etc.. and all the songs that are in itunes??

Sorry its a bit long, and i hope that this question has not come up before?

Cheers
Darren
Old 29 June 2005, 07:30 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Just take a backup of the iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes 4 Music Library.itl files in your My Music\iTunes folder. After HD swap, reinstall iTunes and copy these two files back, overwriting the defaults. Open iTunes and your Library, playlists, play counts, ratings etc. will appear to be as it was, except you've now moved the files so iTunes won't find them. Follow my post here with slight adaptation to point iTunes to your 2nd HD using a shortcut and all will be fine.

Any probs just shout,
Alex
Old 29 June 2005, 07:48 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate
That seem straight forward enough. If i get stuck, i know where to come
Darren

Originally Posted by class_A
Just take a backup of the iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes 4 Music Library.itl files in your My Music\iTunes folder. After HD swap, reinstall iTunes and copy these two files back, overwriting the defaults. Open iTunes and your Library, playlists, play counts, ratings etc. will appear to be as it was, except you've now moved the files so iTunes won't find them. Follow my post here with slight adaptation to point iTunes to your 2nd HD using a shortcut and all will be fine.

Any probs just shout,
Alex
Old 05 September 2005, 07:14 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

ive just done it and it works.

Sorry for the late reply, but have only just got around to getting a new HDD and re installing everything to how i want it. What an effort.

Cheers
Darren

Originally Posted by class_A
This assumes you have Win 2k or XP:

Create another seperate user account for yourself on your PC. Each iPod needs its own "iTunes Music Library" file (usually in the \Documents and Settings\username\My Music\iTunes folder) so it can maintain play counts, ratings etc.

Then move your current "iTunes Music" folder to a place where both user accounts have access to it (e.g. \Documents and Settings\All Users). Now create a shortcut to the new location and put it inside your own "iTunes" folder mentioned above. Rename the shortcut to "iTunes Music".

Each user now has access to the library and can add tracks. iTunes simply follows the shortcut from your user folder to the shared folder you created. Periodically, drag-and-drop the music folder onto the main iTunes Library window and iTunes will rescan the library and add new tracks. You need to do this as new music will only initially show up in the library of the user who imported it from CD or purchased it from iTMS etc.

Sounds complicated but it's quite logical when you get it all set up.

Alex