Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Solaris resource management

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2005, 03:29 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solaris resource management

Anyone use projects, processor sets and that sort of stuff in Solaris 9 or 10 for resource management.

I would be interested to know how easy it is and how flexible it is.

Dave
Old 28 June 2005, 08:17 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
Anyone use projects, processor sets
yes with Oracle processes to help improve performance. Also to separate applications and keep users under control.

I would be interested to know how easy it is and how flexible it is.
Its not rocket science.

Also look at the Fair Share Scheduler (man FSS)
Old 28 June 2005, 09:03 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

I am hoping to try this out in Sol10 soon...

Although we seem to be bias towards lpar'ing or zoning and have dedicated partitions or zones to a given application.
Old 29 June 2005, 07:37 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys.

Alex - most of our customers are doing the same, setting up seperate partitions for their apps and DRing processors, etc in and out for busy periods.

I have been using a product called ARMTech that seems to be a bit more granular and dynamic than the Solaris Resource Management tools. Way back many moons ago it is an evolution of the FSS.

Had a big discussion with a customer recently who is going Sol8 - 10 but wants to go via 9 (due to problems when he went 2.6 - 8). He wants the resource management tools available in 10, but at 9. I know they are there but they dont seem flexible enough for him.

Dave
Old 29 June 2005, 12:10 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
Thanks for the input guys.

Alex - most of our customers are doing the same, setting up seperate partitions for their apps and DRing processors, etc in and out for busy periods.

I have been using a product called ARMTech that seems to be a bit more granular and dynamic than the Solaris Resource Management tools. Way back many moons ago it is an evolution of the FSS.

Had a big discussion with a customer recently who is going Sol8 - 10 but wants to go via 9 (due to problems when he went 2.6 - 8). He wants the resource management tools available in 10, but at 9. I know they are there but they dont seem flexible enough for him.

Dave
I would have to agree with his concerns from jumping to 10 from 8, we're in the same boat. Although - I believe we are going to bite the bullet and jump to Sol10 later this year...

Still, keeps me in a job.. hopefully!
Old 29 June 2005, 07:51 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

As long as proper testing of applications takes place why not move from S8 to S10.
Old 29 June 2005, 10:31 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

*ignore this post - doh*
Old 01 July 2005, 07:48 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by orbv
As long as proper testing of applications takes place why not move from S8 to S10.
Customer is a large bank and want it rolled out as quick as possible. They appreciate the need for maybe recompiling and testing but dont want to have to rewrite bespoke apps (mainly Java stuff). They had to do this when they went 2.6 - 8, they said it was more painless to go via 7.

Dave
Old 01 July 2005, 08:05 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Angry

Java: Write once run everywhere! If it does not its either bad programming or a bug.

Solaris: Binary compatible across releases so again either bad programming or a bug!

Why is there a need to re-write software? Recompiling using a newer compiler may first highlight any programing errors and give a performance increase as compiler technology moves on.
Old 02 July 2005, 06:29 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by orbv
Java: Write once run everywhere! If it does not its either bad programming or a bug.

Solaris: Binary compatible across releases so again either bad programming or a bug!

Why is there a need to re-write software? Recompiling using a newer compiler may first highlight any programing errors and give a performance increase as compiler technology moves on.
You said it, bad programming - I see this so much, which is why we go 'softly softly' at work when performing OS upgrades.

The other issue I have seen a lot of companies suffer with, is staff turn over, when it gets to the point, through lack of documentation and handover, you end up with inhouse code that nobody knows anything about!

Its a bloody mine field.

Usually method is upgrade OS in:

DEV - then test
SIT - then test
UAT - then test
DR - then test
PROD - then test

Thats a good year gone all in all!

I'm so looking forward to the upgrade of 300 systems over the next 2 years - not.