Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

T1/Lan internet connection

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2005, 11:56 AM
Scoobless
Scooby Regular

Location: UK300 to P1 to LEON CUPRA R to MONDEO...life sucks!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T1/Lan internet connection

Right thicko question time

I'm on a 3mb broadband connection with NTL and i was reading a review of BF2 and it suggested that a desirable connection would be T1/Lan connection....

Would this be a huge improvement on my set up?

And if so where can i find a supplier of this service from?

TIA
Old 24 June 2005, 03:22 PM
ChrisB

A T1 is an American leased line.

In Europe it's called a E1 and runs at 2Mbps, so in theory it's slower than your 3Mbps NTL connection. I say in theory as once you get into the world of leased lines, you will generally get a contention ratio of 1:1 and it's synchronous, so upstream speed = downstream speed.

Price depends on your location. Somewhere like Central London will be about the cheapest, as there's a good choice of provider, so plenty of competition to keep the prices down. You're probably looking at a set-up fee of £1500 or more (which may include a router) and an annual fee of at least £10,000. Still interested?

You might want to investigate SDSL services as they a somewhat cheaper but still pricey for an 'average' home user. For instance, EasyNet, Zen or Eclise.
Old 24 June 2005, 07:28 PM
forseti
Scooby Newbie

your 3Mbps connection should be fine. Check on the NTL website for your upload speed as this is where you may run into problems, especially if you are running the server. I have the B2 demo as well and it rocks! Doesn't this get released today?
Old 25 June 2005, 06:31 PM
Scoobless
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by forseti
your 3Mbps connection should be fine. Check on the NTL website for your upload speed as this is where you may run into problems, especially if you are running the server. I have the B2 demo as well and it rocks! Doesn't this get released today?
Yup released friday....
Old 25 June 2005, 06:32 PM
Scoobless
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
A T1 is an American leased line.

In Europe it's called a E1 and runs at 2Mbps, so in theory it's slower than your 3Mbps NTL connection. I say in theory as once you get into the world of leased lines, you will generally get a contention ratio of 1:1 and it's synchronous, so upstream speed = downstream speed.

Price depends on your location. Somewhere like Central London will be about the cheapest, as there's a good choice of provider, so plenty of competition to keep the prices down. You're probably looking at a set-up fee of £1500 or more (which may include a router) and an annual fee of at least £10,000. Still interested?

You might want to investigate SDSL services as they a somewhat cheaper but still pricey for an 'average' home user. For instance, EasyNet, Zen or Eclise.
Bloody 'ell thats a bit dear...think i'll stay with NTL