Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Belkin USB Wireless - is it me or is it pants?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2005, 11:17 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Belkin USB Wireless - is it me or is it pants?

I have a Vaio Centrino laptop with XP/SP2 and a Pentium 4 desktop also running XP/SP2.

I have the £30 Belkin USB 802.11g USB adapter on the desktop and it is not producing the results I expected.

Broadband connectivity works fine and it configured itself automatically. So no problem there...

...except the Belkin keeps dropping the connection and swapping between 802.11b and 802.11g protocols for no rhyme or reason.

My main issue is that I cannot get the Belkin monitor to support Wireless LAN. I can get XP to do it - however I have to manually start WZC to enable XP to configure the connection.

And each time I start the PC the Belkin monitor seems to disable WZC and I am back where I started.

Is it simply I am stoopid?

Or is it simply that the cheap connector/software is pants?

And it is not range or interference as at present the laptop and PC are on the same desk until I get it set up!!

Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

Rannoch
Old 13 June 2005, 10:08 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Put it this way - buying the Belkin wireless router was the big mistake in the first place ( I suffered similar problems aswell)! Mine has just been consigned to the bin and replaced with a nice little Linksys unit that works faultlessly
Old 14 June 2005, 01:15 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

I'll second the above comment. I thought I'd get rid of some of the hundreds of cables that multiply under the desk and replace them with a wireless router and wirelss card.

Thought buying from the same manufacturer would be the best solution and ended up with Belkin. What a pain the ****. Couldn't get the card to be recognised, to recognise the network, to log on, couldn't get the router fired up...

Spent hours on the phone to some German bloke at Belkin who to give him credit tried his hardest, but still ended up with a really slow connection between PC and router. Used to take 10-15 secs to load Scoobynet ffs! Was like being back with dial-up! Eventually wired the PC to the router and it now works fine and only use the wireless part of the router with my PDA if I'm sat on the sofa!

All in all a bit of a waste of money and now ended up with more wires than I started with.

I would definitely say steer clear of Belkin Wireless products as even the support staff can't get the bloody thing working properly!

And if anyone could recommend any other system that actually works, feel free to pass on that info...
Old 14 June 2005, 01:37 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Put it this way - buying the Belkin wireless router was the big mistake in the first place ( I suffered similar problems aswell)! Mine has just been consigned to the bin and replaced with a nice little Linksys unit that works faultlessly
Ironically, I've got a linksys unit and really wish I didn't have. Works ok some of the time, but then just suddenly decides to either drop connections, or lose all of it's settings and revert to factory defaults, forcing me to set it all up again. Grrrrr....
Old 18 June 2005, 11:05 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm....well I now have a Linksys Wireless G USB adapter and that does not work at all - it is clearly me that is pants.

I cannot get any connection to recognise a wireless signal from it even tho it says everything is working fine.

I am clearly not destined to run wireless anywhere.

(Mind you my wired LAN connection says it does work and it works a treat so I do suspect significant user error here!)

Rannoch
Old 18 June 2005, 10:13 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I have had numerous Linksys kit and to be honest its rock solid on all platforms: mac, pc and linux box.

I started with intel and 3com - avoid like the plague - pile of cack

The only issue I had was flashing an old linksys with new firmware. Kinda killed it.
Old 19 June 2005, 11:00 AM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

I have had no problem with Belkin wireless kit at all, run 3 PC's, 2 laptops and 1 pda from the router. I have a Cisco wireless for business background, and still work in IT and stay clear of Linksys kit!!

M.