Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which inkjet printer...

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2005, 01:12 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Epson R200 is good for the money.In fact,you can get one from PC World of all places for £60.Most of the printers on their website either be delivered free OR collected from a PCW store and you then pay the webprice (Sometimes £20-£30 cheaper but remember to add it to your basket if you choose this option as it will then tell you if it's available for collection and issue you with some kind of reservation number)
If you can stretch to £80,you can get the R300 which seems to have been doing well when you read reviews on the web about it (I nearly bought one last week but decided to buy a Canon Pixma IP5000)
Talking of Canon,PCW are doing the IP3000 for just short of £65 on the web (Available to reserve on the web and collect in store at that price otherwise you pay £90 if you don't!!)
Final option for £80 is a HP 7762 which has a built in small lcd screen that allows you to print photos from a flash memory source without having a computer attached (You can see the photos on the lcd and choose which one(s) you want to print - I have that option on my Photosmart 7550 and it's very good,especially for her indoors!!)
Downside to them all is prices of ink,Epson and Canon have individual colour cartridges,HP has black,photo and tri colour which can be replaced quite often as I found mine very thirsty!! (Canon carts are probably the cheapest for originals)
Epsons can play up down the line if you use compatible cartridges all the time,normally the print heads fail,Canons have a separate print head which can be replaced if the compatible cartridges screw it whereas the HP has the print head built into the cartridges so every time you change the cartridge you get a new print head)
Pros and cons with all the printers really,but having owned all three of the brands over the years,I'd probably say to go for the Canon (Might be worth doing a search on the web to see what kind of reviews the 3000 has had)

Good luck

Last edited by NickAdams; 12 June 2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12 June 2005, 01:20 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

One thing I forgot to say is that my Canon is the most quiet out of all the printers that I've owned through the years (It has direct printing to cd/dvd and the results are excellent too!!!)

Couple of reviews below for you

Computer Shopper Review

PC Pro review
Old 12 June 2005, 08:38 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Go for the Canon IMHO. Proper ink tank monitoring, transparent tanks so you can check ink levels by eye if you need to, user replacable print head, individual ink tanks so you only have to replace the exhausted colour, nice software/drivers and easy set-up.

I have a Canon iP4000 and it's ace, much better than the cloggy Epson POS it replaced! HP, I have no recent experience of (*hugs LJ4*) but I understand their engineering quality is not quite what it once was.
Old 12 June 2005, 10:31 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I just bought an Epson R200 for £59.99 from pc world.

Just go to the web site and click on buy and select 'in store pick-up.
Save £20 on in store price but collect today!
Old 13 June 2005, 11:31 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I junked my Epson Stylus photo for a Canon, and it's miles better. I didn't use it that often, but I found that the jets on the Epson clogged up if I didn't use it for a while (only ever used original Epson ink), and even though it was only just over a year old, it started smudging, leaving lines across photos etc.

The canon is quicker, quieter, imo better print quality, and the ink is cheaper
Old 13 June 2005, 11:39 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
OK I have the IP5000 at work, anyone know the difference (apart from cost) between the 3000 and the 5000?
IIRC, the 5000 offers Canon's "FINE" 1 picolitre something technology print head which I've heard isn't worth the premium.
Old 13 June 2005, 11:48 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Blimey, that is good for an inkjet . I think you'll find the new hp printers are not as well made though. I've heard of several people having similar problems as we've had with the Epson. They work well when new, but soon degrade...
Old 13 June 2005, 01:16 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
OK I have the IP5000 at work, anyone know the difference (apart from cost) between the 3000 and the 5000?
I know when I bought my IP5000 last week and compared it to the 4000 (You can do this via Canons website comparison tool actually) the only differences were 1pl (picolitre) for the 5000 against 2pl quality and the res was 4800x1200 for the 4000 and 9600x2400 for the 5000 (I'm guessing the 3000 is very similar in spec to the 4000)
I've done a few CD/DVD label prints on mine at the weekend and I have to say the quality is absolutely spot on!!!!