Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ooops think i've fubared my PowerBook

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2005, 11:57 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ooops think i've fubared my PowerBook

Hi peeps,

Long story short on this one as I dunno where to go.

Basically work got a new mac mini this morning and I thought ahhh, ill borrow the tiger install disks.

Ran the tiger install, and the install said, after reboot "Packages cannot be installed on this computer" So I clicked close. Now its just sitting there with a blue background and "the circle thing" and I cant however I slice it get the disk out to reboot to the old 10 installation. Hell I dont even know what its doing tbh !
Old 27 May 2005, 12:13 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

"OEM" OS X Install Discs are now tied to the class of hardware they shipped with, as you've found out

Shut the PowerBook down (hold power button until it stops) and then start it up whilst holding down the trackpad button and after a few moments it should spit the DVD out.

Alex
Old 27 May 2005, 12:55 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

My god, and I thought I was getting away from nasty MS/Dell type lockin stunts. That stinks! Thanks for the advice btw. Now to install the new RAM
Old 27 May 2005, 02:23 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Class A is right, the software on the original disks that come with each machine are typical "restore disks". You need upgrade disks instead, sorry.
Old 27 May 2005, 03:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The lock in thing is a bit naughty, but it is to prevent users from doing exactly what you are doing, upgrading a machine's OS without paying for it.

Having said that, it would have been nice if the installer had told you before installation that it would not actually install on this machine. The Pre OS X installers were rather good at doing this.

I thought we'd been shafted, as we were sent an "upgrade" dvd for Tiger, and not the full installer, bit cheeky, seeing as we pay an arm and a leg for the Premier ADC every year. Anyway, amidst a bout of coughing i think I might have heard mention that there is/was some way to get the upgrade installer to be a full installer. I would guess the same would be true for the other cd/dvd's, though can't comment for sure.

As to how to get back to the other partition you have a prior version of OS X on, there's a couple of ways. The first, as others have mentioned is to reboot, hold down the mouse button/trackpad button and the DVD will be ejected, though the machine will try and boot from the last partition, which will be the fubared 10.4 one (though let it boot and see if it works. I've seen Tiger stall on startup a few times on our dev machines, and after a gentle kick, ie; kick the reboot switch it works ok).

The other option is to reboot and hold down the alt/option key, this will show the boot selector screen. From here it will show you all disks/partitions with bootable systems on them. Simply pick the one you want, click the right facing arrow and it'll boot. you can also eject the cd/dvd at this point by pressing the eject key on the keyboard.

Note: it may take a while before you can select anything on this screen, this is normal, open firmware is trying to locate network boot volumes at this point, so it takes a while for it to realise there aren't any. bloody annoying and I wish I could turn that off somewhere.
Old 27 May 2005, 03:37 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Well I must admint I was trying to cheap out and not have to cough up the media fee, because (well it depends if your apple or not ) im entitled to the free upgrade. And I wanted it NOW because ive just stuck a nice slab of quality 512MB ram in the machine.