Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox360 High-Definition Videos

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2005, 05:43 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Xbox360 High-Definition Videos

Thought this deserved a thread of its own !!

Microsoft released some trailers of Xbox 360 games in the Windows Media High Definition Video (WMV HD) format.
No more shacky footage from E3 videos, these are coming directly from the source, in full HD ... and available directly from Microsoft.
There are videos of: Call of Duty 2, Condemned, Dead Rising, Demonik, EA Compilation E3 2005, Final Fantasy XI, Frame City Killer, Full Auto, Ghost Recon 3, Kameo, Madden NFL 2006, NBA 2K6, NHL 2K6, Quake 4, Saint's Row, TestDrive Unlimted and The Darkness.

You can download these trailer from microsoft.com.
Please note that these files are large and will require a powerful PC to play smoothly.
Old 26 May 2005, 06:21 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

sexy!
Old 27 May 2005, 08:58 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Roll on christmas

Old 27 May 2005, 09:11 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Isn't it nice for a company to be so open about their product!
Old 27 May 2005, 10:32 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

They are impressive, although didn't play very well on my 3ghz Pentium, 1gb RAM and a 9600 graphics card.

Steve
Old 27 May 2005, 10:49 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Actaully, I was a bit underwhelmed by them. I was hoping for something a little more impressive
Old 27 May 2005, 11:10 AM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

What's the deal with HD playback via a PC? I've just got a (cruddy) XP laptop but I'd be curious to playback a short Hi-Def movie as my external monitor supports 780P / 1080i. Is it possible to do this (even sluggishly) from a fairly low end laptop.. 1.4GB, 512MB RAM, boggo 1024x768 graphics card?

Trending Topics

Old 27 May 2005, 12:40 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Actaully, I was a bit underwhelmed by them. I was hoping for something a little more impressive
Did you watch the Ghost Recon 3 trailer??

OMG looks fecking awesome

So smooth

I personally can't wait
Old 27 May 2005, 12:46 PM
User 1421
Scooby Regular

Ignorance is bliss and all that , but in english what is 780p and 1080i ?

Do all teles supoort them , or is it a grading of hidef ?
Old 27 May 2005, 01:10 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
Did you watch the Ghost Recon 3 trailer??

OMG looks fecking awesome

So smooth

I personally can't wait
I think that's the only trailer I haven't watched yet. From what I've seen so far though, theres been nothing shown that I can't already do on my pc (HL2 etc). I was hoping for a little extra...
Old 27 May 2005, 01:51 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,
These are Hi-Def modes that are generally available on progressive scan compatiable sets (most decent Plasma and LCD TV's). The difference is unbelievable compared to normal RGB on a TV and is getting the ouput comparable to a PC with ramped up resolution (obviously dependant on Hi-Def mode).

Iain,
Dont forget this is 1st generation software and considering the graphics technology used is stated to be 2 or 3 times more powerful than current available PC technology (dont forget these manufacturers hold stuff back a number of advancements in hand for launching), I would suspect that things will only get better. Couple this with the fact that the XBOX 360 will be a damn site cheaper as a complete unit then the current top of the crop graphics CARDS are at present..... seems something to get pretty excited about to me!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 27 May 2005, 02:07 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Dont forget this is 1st generation software and considering the graphics technology used is stated to be 2 or 3 times more powerful than current available PC technology (dont forget these manufacturers hold stuff back a number of advancements in hand for launching),
I know about all that. I was just hoping that with all that extra processing power they could have shown some demos of stuff that would have blown the current crop of games / consolse etc out the water. I'm sure they'll come, but I haven't seen anything yet. I'm guessing the major improvements will be the amount of stuff going on in the backgrounds, and more importantly, physics and ai improvements. These don't really come across in the pre-rendered video sequences / demos...

I would suspect that things will only get better. Couple this with the fact that the XBOX 360 will be a damn site cheaper as a complete unit then the current top of the crop graphics CARDS are at present..... seems something to get pretty excited about to me!
Not when you've already spent £££s on getting the latest gfx cards etc it's not
Old 27 May 2005, 02:07 PM
User 1421
Scooby Regular

Andy,
These are Hi-Def modes that are generally available on progressive scan compatiable sets (most decent Plasma and LCD TV's). The difference is unbelievable compared to normal RGB on a TV and is getting the ouput comparable to a PC with ramped up resolution (obviously dependant on Hi-Def mode).
Thanks Shaun for the insight.

I assume then , that your plasmas doesnt need to be HiDef ready, just proggessive scan compatible ?
Old 27 May 2005, 02:10 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Actually I seem to remember that Microsoft said the new xbox would work on any tv, (they're not forcing people to buy a new set). It's just you'll only get the benefits of hd on an appropriately equipped tv.
Old 27 May 2005, 03:51 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid I'm just a techie junky and will get the X-Box 360 and the Playstation 3.

Why bother arguing - just get them both!!!

Just a thought but if you look at the current crop of games for the X-Box compared to the games that were available when the console was first released that should tell you good things are coming!!

As much as I don't really like to sing the praises of Microsoft I think the fact they came into the game console market can only be a huge benfit to US!!!
Old 27 May 2005, 06:36 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Andy,

I think (and I am no techno phob on this thing, so could be completely wrong) that these are one of the same tbh. Progressive scan is a form of hi-def in itself, but most sets that accept progressive scan also allow 1080i (but not all do from what I believe), with the formats of hi-def being 480p, 480i, 720p & 1080i (again from what I believe as 720p & 1080i being of "true" hi-def).

To further confuse the issue, most progressive scan set's will accept this type of input by the fast becoming standard that of which is component inputs (3 phonos, blue, red & green), but there is also the hi-def standard input which is HDMI (I think it is that). As far as I am aware these are the same, with perhaps the HDMI input being digital and the component being analogue......... of course I may be totally wrong so dont take that as gospel (just off the top of my head from what I understand and not double checked this).

Hanley,
You and me both and I couldnt agree more!

Iain,
After looking at the demo's from the link above, I must admit I am quite excited at what these next gen machines will achieve. PC owners have been getting the better graphics (and I appreciate this is not the be all and end all) their own way for far to long now, and the fact that a singular cheap console can now compete with what a PC is capable of is a major step imho.

Things can only get better!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 28 May 2005, 12:59 AM
User 1421
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I think (and I am no techno phob on this thing, so could be completely wrong) that these are one of the same tbh. Progressive scan is a form of hi-def in itself, but most sets that accept progressive scan also allow 1080i (but not all do from what I believe), with the formats of hi-def being 480p, 480i, 720p & 1080i (again from what I believe as 720p & 1080i being of "true" hi-def).

To further confuse the issue, most progressive scan set's will accept this type of input by the fast becoming standard that of which is component inputs (3 phonos, blue, red & green), but there is also the hi-def standard input which is HDMI (I think it is that). As far as I am aware these are the same, with perhaps the HDMI input being digital and the component being analogue......... of course I may be totally wrong so dont take that as gospel (just off the top of my head from what I understand and not double checked this).
I sense that the tele makers are trying to test me , and tempt me into buying the wrong technology.

Buuger. More reading
Old 28 May 2005, 08:23 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Andy,

If it helps..... the 2 sets I have bought over the past 9 months are both component progressive scan capable and do already accept all input modes described above (via component). My understanding is that my bum is covered regarding Hi-Def (which has been proven since my modded XBOX will display varying levels of these Hi-Def modes without a problem).

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 29 May 2005, 01:46 AM
User 1421
Scooby Regular

Andy,

If it helps..... the 2 sets I have bought over the past 9 months are both component progressive scan capable and do already accept all input modes described above (via component). My understanding is that my bum is covered regarding Hi-Def (which has been proven since my modded XBOX will display varying levels of these Hi-Def modes without a problem).

Regards,
Shaun.
thanks again Shaun !

Ill whip in me modded xbox to the store and ill let them hook it up so i can check .

Ta dude