Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

USB Driver problems

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2005, 08:33 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Default USB Driver problems

I recently bought a Flash drive and a digital camera. Trouble is, my computer is unable to find the software required to install drivers for them even after searching the internet.

Spec is Windows XP Home on a Dell Dimension 4600.

It says on the Driver CDs I got that XP wont need these and they didnt work when I tried them anyway

I've bought the latest Mcafee anti-virus stuff and downloaded all updates for it. Plenty of worms, viruses and trojans were discovered and destroyed. Still no go with the new hardware.

When I look in the device manager, it just has a big yellow question mark with the name of the hardware on the USB. When I click on this, it just says drivers not installed. No ****, tell me something I dont know!

Anyone have any suggestions. I have a nice new camera that I cant download photos off
Old 26 May 2005, 04:40 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did u plug the camera/flashdrive in before u installed the drivers from the CD's?

You can either update the yellow exclamation from device drivers, using the CD's supplied, or remove the exclamations and then reinstall the drivers making sure the camera/flashdrive aren't plugged in.

Do each device one by one, making sure one works before u install the next.

If that still doesnt work then maybe the drivers are conflicting with each other.

Or, u need to update your USB controller drivers, from the mobo manufacturer's website. Some mobos require a 'patch' under XP for USB2 to work correctly.

HTH
Old 27 May 2005, 12:34 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it you have Service Pack 2 Installed for XP? If not try installing that as it has the USB 2 patch included. If not, try going to the windows update site and getting the Microsoft USB 2 update. This may help your problem.
Old 27 May 2005, 12:53 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the camera maker not have an available download on its site.
I had the same problem with my Nikon,emailed nikon and they pointed me in the right direction.

I havent got SP2 either.
Old 27 May 2005, 10:28 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I take it you have Service Pack 2 Installed for XP? If not try installing that as it has the USB 2 patch included. If not, try going to the windows update site and getting the Microsoft USB 2 update
Yes, I downloaded the service pack and thought that would surely remove any bugs, but its still the same. I will try and download the USB 2 update

I'll also try and find out if there is a download needed for the camera, seems strange that exactly the same thing happens with the flash though.

Bioforger, thanks for that, I read that at 9pm last night so couldnt quite get the energy to try it all out I will try the whole process from scratch this weekend and see if it works